Stony Brook vs. Marist
March 20, 2007
The Game Story:
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Paced by three goals from senior midfielder Larry Cerasi, 20th ranked Stony Brook University men's lacrosse team topped Marist, 11-7, on Tuesday afternoon at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. The win, the Seawolves third in a row, moves them to 3-1 on the season while Marist falls to 0-5.

"We just couldn't get over the hump today but I am very glad to leave with a win," said head coach Rick Sowell. " I give Marist a lot of credit. No matter what kind of distance we tried to put between us, they continue to chip away and come back."

The Red Foxes jumped on the board first when Pete O'Hara tallied an unassisted tally at the 13:18 mark. Bobby Trenkle knotted the contest at one after he came from behind the cage to tally his five goal of the season just over a minute later. Cerasi then put the Seawolves up for good when dodged on the right hand side with 8:18 left in the first quarter. Trenkle put SB up 3-1 when he Tom Izzo cutting in front of the goal at the 5:14 mark. Dan Needle won the ensuing face-off and raced to find the back of the cage, cutting the Seawolves lead to 3-2. Owen Adams closed out the scoring in the first half when he ripped a shot from 10 yards out with 2:24 left in the quarter.

Freshman Tom Compitello opened up the scoring in the second quarter as he netted his first collegiate goal to give Stony Brook a 5-2 lead. Nick Hautau would score the lone goal for Red Foxes in the second quarter at the 2:35. Cerasi tallied his second goal of the game with 11 seconds remaining in the first half to extend the Seawolves lead to 6-3 lead heading into the locker room.

Two quick goals from Adams and Bo Tripodi gave the Seawolves an 8-3 advantage with 11:43 left in the third quarter. Marist answered with a pair of goals only to have Sean Chamberlain find the back of the cage on two occasions as SB led 10-5 with 13:41 left in the contest. The Red Foxes got as close as 10-7 with 7:15 remaining after another goal from Hautau. Cerasi closed out the scoring in the game as he found the back of the cage from the left side.

Brendan Callahan kept the Seawolves in the game as he made 16 saves, including nine in the fourth quarter. Cerasi finished with three goals while Adams ended with two goals and an assist.

The Seawolves return to action on Saturday when they host Lehigh at 4:00 p.m. at LaValle Stadium.