Stony Brook vs. Siena
March 8, 2008
The Game Story:
Stony Brook, N.Y. - In a game played in damp, rainy conditions, Stony Brook's men's lacrosse team picked up its first win of the season this afternoon, outscoring Siena, 17-15. Senior Rhys Duch (Victoria, British Columbia) scored three goals while senior Bo Tripodi (Hauppauge, N.Y.) scored twice late in the fourth quarter to clinch the win for the Seawolves in their home opener. The 32 total goals scored in the contest are the most in a Stony Brook games since SBU and Pennsylvania combined to score 33 (Penn 19, SBU 14) on May 2, 1991.

"It feels good to get our first win of the season," said Stony Brook head coach Rick Sowell. "Siena played a hard-fought game and battled us for 60 minutes. I was very proud the way our guys overcame adversity throughout the game. They made the plays they needed to make to win the game."

After spotting Siena (3-1) an early 1-0 lead, Stony Brook roared back with five consecutive goals to take a 5-1 advantage. Sophomore Mike Palmer (Westbury, N.Y.) tied the game with his first goal of the season, scoring at the 4:09 mark in the first. His goal kick-started the Stony Brook (1-2) offense as the Seawolves connected on three more before the end of the quarter, with Josh Eustice (Orchard Park, N.Y.) scoring as time expired to put SBU up 4-1.

A score by senior Bobby Trenkle (Commack, N.Y.) in the first minute of the second made it 5-1, but Siena answered with four straight to tie things up. Matt Girsh started the streak with a score two minutes in and when Ryan Duggan scored with 7:23 showing, the Saints had tied things up. Stony Brook answered with two quick goals, one from Duch and one from freshman Jordan McBride (New Westminster, British Columbia), but Siena again came back and by the time the quarter ended the two teams found themselves in an 8-8 stalemate.

Neither team held more than a two-goal lead for the entire second half. Siena scored first in the third, but Stony Brook came back with scores from Duch and sophomore Kevin Crowley (New Westminster, British Columbia) to take a 10-9 lead. In a game that saw five lead changes and seven ties, the Saints notched three straight unassisted goals to take a 12-10 edge after a Chris Viviano man-up score with 7:39 left. The Seawolves halted that run with a shot from McBride, and when senior Owen Adams (Norwalk, Conn.) scored at the end of the quarter things were tied up again, this time at 12-all.

Stony Brook opened up the fourth with goals by Crowley and Tripodi to take a two-goal advantage, but Siena came back with a pair to tie it once again. With 6:09 left Duch found the back of the net for his third score of the game and it gave the Seawolves a lead they would not relinquish. At the 3:23 mark Tripodi put SBU up by two off an assist by Duch, but the Saints crept back within one after Shawn Dunn scored with just 1:30 to play. Tripodi then sealed the win for the Seawolves, notching a big goal with 25 seconds left to give SBU the final margin of victory.

Duch was not the only player to score three times, as Tripodi, Crowley and McBride also finished with three scores apiece. Crowley added a team-high three assists to lead the team with six points. Duch and McBride added a pair of assists. Girsh, Duggan, Dunn and Mike Lashomb all had three goals for Siena.

Stony Brook will be back on the road for its next game as it travels to Delaware to take on the Blue Hens on Saturday, March 15 at 5:00 p.m.