Stony Brook vs. Umbc
March 28, 2009
The Game Story:
Stony Brook, N.Y. - After trailing eighth-ranked UMBC by only two goals at the half, Stony Brook saw the Retrievers outscore it 4-1 in the third quarter as they went on to defeat the Seawolves, 14-8, in men's lacrosse action at LaValle Stadium. Freshman Graham Adams (Royal Oak, Mich.) scored his first three career goals, all in the first half, to lead Stony Brook. The contest dew the largest crowd of the season at LaValle Stadium, as more than 4,000 turned out to watch the Lacrosse for Autism double-header that also included a first game that saw No. 10 Duke down Dartmouth, 12-6.

"UMBC is a pretty good team," said Stony Brook head coach Rick Sowell. "I thought the end of the second quarter when they scored at the end hurt a little bit. And then in the third we had a couple of turnovers and penalties and all of a sudden we are down 9-4; that was a crucial part of the game. Our guys played hard and kept fighting, but we came across a team that is very good."

In the America East opener for both schools, UMBC (6-2, 1-0 AE) struck first with goals from Chris Jones and Matt Latham to take an early 2-0 lead nine minutes into the game; a lead that the Retrievers would never give up. A minute and a half later sophomore Kevin Crowley (New Westminster, B.C.) made a great feed to Adams who finished the play for his first career goal at the 4:46 mark of the first quarter to get Stony Brook (4-4, 0-1 AE) on the board.

After UMBC went up 3-1 with less than two minutes to play in the quarter, the Adams/Crowley combination worked again just 50 seconds later with Adams slicing the lead back down to one with a shot from directly in front of the goal.

UMBC then scored consecutive goals, one with just five seconds left in the first quarter, to take a 5-2 lead with 10 minutes left in the half. Stony Brook answered the two goals late in the second quarter with back-to-back scores from sophomore Jordan McBride (New Westminster, B.C.) and Adams, with Adams scoring off another assist from Crowley, to cut the lead back down to one at 5-4 with 1:27 left in the half. The Retrievers, however, pushed the lead back up to two when Peet Poillon found the back of the net with just six seconds left in the half to make it 6-4.

That late goal proved to be the first of four straight goals for UMBC, a run that would prove to be decisive. Early in the third Jones notched his second goal of the game before the Retrievers would take advantage of a pair of man-up opportunities, scoring on each in a minute and a half stretch, to take a 9-4 lead. Stony Brook got a goal from sophomore Timmy Trenkle (Commack, N.Y.), but UMBC finished off its 4-1 third quarter advantage with its third, final-minute goal of the game to take a 10-5 lead into the fourth.

An Alex Hopmann goal gave the Retrievers an 11-5 edge at the 10:49 mark of the fourth and the six-goal lead proved to be too much for Stony Brook to over come, as the Seawolves could not come up with consecutive goals to put a run together for the remainder of the game.

Crowley matched his career-high with four assists while also leading the team with five ground balls for Stony Brook. McBride was the only other SBU player with multiple goals, finishing with a pair. Sophomore Adam Rand (Niantic, Conn.) had an excellent day in the face-off circle for the Seawolves, winning 19 of his 26 attempts. Ten different players scored goals for UMBC, led by three from Latham and two each from Poillon and Jones.

Stony Brook will play its first conference road game in its next outing, traveling to Vermont to take on the Catamounts on Saturday, April 4 at 1:00 p.m.