Syracuse vs. Cornell
April 10, 2013
The Game Story:
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- It was a game destined to come down to the last second like so many others in the series have. This time, the hero was Syracuse's crossbar. The Big Red hit the post in the final 20 seconds and No. 7 Syracuse earned a 13-12 victory over No. 2 Cornell on Wednesday evening at the Carrier Dome.

“The last play went exactly the way we drew it up,” said head coach Ben DeLuca. “We felt like we had been having success against their short-stick d-middies and we got the look we wanted to. That's a shot we make nine out of 10 times, but this time we hit the pipe.”

Cornell hit five pipes on the day, including on the last shot of the game, which would have knotted up the game as Syracuse rallied in the fourth to pick up its first win over the Big Red since 2010.

Of course, it wasn't just the pipe that sent Cornell to its second loss of the year. Goalkeeper Dominic Lamolinara notched 12 saves to pick up the win, including eight in the decisive second half. Among them was a huge stop in the final two minutes on a broken play that kept the home team in the lead. Luke Cometti scored a career-high four goals for the Orange and JoJo Marasco had two goals and two assists.

Connor Buczek scored four goals and Max Van Bourgondien finished with three goals and an assist. Rob Pannell had a goal and three assists, all in the first quarter, as Cornell jumped out to a 4-0 lead before ending the initial 15 minutes up 6-4. Connor English added a goal and an assist, as did senior Steve Mock. Doug Tesoriero won 16-of-28 face-offs and posted 12 ground balls, while Jason Noble had a pair of caused turnovers in front of AJ Fiore, who made eight saves in the loss.

The Big Red dominated the first half, but only came out with a two-goal lead (8-6).

Cornell won the opening face-off as Tesoriero marched it into the offensive zone and gave it up to Van Burgoundien. The midfielder never gave it up and 29 seconds into the contest had the Big Red up 1-0. His quick dodge and hard high shot drew first blood for the visitors. After a SU violation on the face-off, Cornell drew a penalty and Pannell found Mock for the extra-man goal. Just 2:04 in, the Big Red was up 2-0.

Cornell won the ensuing face-off, but a blocked shot gave the home team its first possession of the evening. A Thomas Keith strip of Marasco led to another Big Red possession. This time, Pannell used a fake to find John Hogan who buried a shot to make it 3-0 with less than five off the clock. Less than a minute later, Pannell found Buczek to make it 4-0, giving the fifth-year senior three straight helpers.

SU scored consecutive goals to cut the deficit in half, but this time Pannell answered himself. He carried from behind the goal and looked as though he was taking the ball out to a wing, but instead whipped a no-look shot from eight yards out to make it 5-2.

From 4-0, Syracuse got back to 5-4 when Derek Maltz found the back of the net with 2:45 left in the quarter. Cornell got a second goal from Van Bourgondien with just over a minute left in the quarter to go into the first break with the road team up 6-4.

Though Syracuse dominated time of possession in the second 15 minutes, Cornell was able to knot up the Orange to go into the break with an 8-6 lead.
After a slow start, Fiore came to life for the Big Red in goal in the second quarter. From the time SU tied the game at 6-6 on Cometti's first, Fiore made four big stops in the final 10 minutes as Cornell regained the advantage.

The final two goals of the half came from Buczek, who finished his hat trick just 40 seconds before the horn ended the half.

Cornell led in shots (27-18), ground balls (16-13) and face-off wins (9-7) in the first 30 minutes, but the home team gradually chipped away at the lead after halftime.

Buczek pinged the top right corner of the goal less than four minutes into the second half to push the Big Red back to a three-goal lead, but that would be the high water mark.

Syracuse snuck a goal past Fiore with seven minutes remaining in the third to end a streak of more than 17 minutes without a score to get within 9-7 and Marasco scored less than a minute later and all of a sudden the Big Red led by just one.

After hitting the post three times by himself earlier in the game, Matt Donovan scored a late goal in the third. Taking the ball behind the goal, Donovan rolled the crease and buried a shot past Lamolinara.

Syracuse brought all the momentum into the fourth though. After hitting the crossbar with under seven seconds left, Marasco found Cometti on a quick re-start and the Orange converted with under three seconds to play to send the home team into the final quarter trailing by just a goal (10-9).

SU tied the game on a broken play that ended with Marasco alone in front of Fiore and the midfielder beat the senior goalkeeper 1-on-1 to make it 10-10. Van Bourgondien briefly put the visitors back in the lead with a quick hitter with 9:25 left, but that only triggered what would turn into the decisive three-goal run by the Orange.

Syracuse took advantage of a fortunate bounce to tie when Schoonmaker hit the post and the rebound bounced directly into the stick of Cometti, who evened the score with 7:13 left. The Orange then took their first lead of the game less than a minute later when Schoonmaker beat his defender and came right down the aisle to put SU up 12-11. Just 65 seconds later Syracuse led by two when Ryan Barber found Kevin Rice for a goal with 5:10 left on the clock.

English got a goal back on a fantastic individual effort, beating the defense with a dodge and a bounce shot to get back within 13-12 with 4:22 left. The face-off was won by the Big Red after a long scramble, and after an early shot, SU won a big race to the end line to regain possession. The Orange killed nearly two minutes of clock before Jason Noble caused a turnover with just under two minutes to play.

Cornell nearly got a fortunate goal, but Lamolinara was in the way to keep the Big Red off the board. Coming from behind goal, Pannell lost the ball on a spin, but the loose ball ended in the stick of Van Bourgondien. The senior went right to goal, but his shot was stopped by the Orange goalkeeper.

The Big Red earned one last change after forcing an Orange turnover with less than 45 seconds left. In the midst of a double team, the defense forced an Orange offensive player out of bounds to regain possession. The Big Red cleared and called timeout with 27 seconds left. English, with the best matchup and the hot hand, cleanly beat his defender on the re-start, but his shot kicked off the cross bar and Syracuse won the battle for the loose ball, clearing it into their zone and running out the clock to pick up their eighth win of the year.

The Big Red will have 10 days off before heading back into Ivy League action against Brown on Saturday, April 20 at 3 p.m. in Providence, R.I.