Towson vs. Drexel
April 17, 2010
The Game Story:

TOWSON, Md. - Towson scored off the game's opening faceoff five seconds into the contest and then came up with a big save as time expired to preserve an 8-7 Colonial Athletic Association victory over 7th-ranked Drexel Saturday night in Johnny Unitas Stadium.

The win moved Towson (5-5) to 3-0 and first place in the league while the Dragons (9-3), who had won nine of their last 10, dropped to 2-1 in the CAA.

The Dragons, enjoying their highest ranking in program history, got revenge for Towson's opening dramatic goal when Adam Dennis scored with nine seconds left in the first half to put the Dragons on top 5-4.

Drexel quickly padded its cushion when Andrew Collins tallied at the 11:46 mark of the third quarter.

Towson clawed back with goals from Carl Iacona and Michael Brashears to knot the score at 6-6. Towson missed a golden opportunity to take the lead as the third period ended when Drexel goalkeeper Mark Manos stopped Christian Pastirik at point blank range.

Pastirik made amends as the fourth quarter began when he fed Brock Armour on the crease for a go ahead score, 7-6. Pastirik finished the game with a career high five assists, the most for a Towson player since 2002 when Brian Obloj turned the trick.

Will Harrington gave the Tigers a little breathing room when he scored a minute later for an 8-6 Towson lead. That proved to be the winning goal.

Drexel rallied midway in the period, trimming Towson's lead to 8-7 when Robert Church tallied from 15 yards out on a pass from Aaron Prosser.

Towson went into a stall mode beginning with 6:10 left in the contest and held it for the next 4:35 until the Dragons' Garrett McIntosh scooped a loose ball in front of Drexel's goal.

Matt Vetter made the same play at Towson's end with 20 seconds left. But the Tigers were called for cross checking with nine seconds on the clock, giving the Dragons a last chance which Church took from 17 yards out. The shot was saved by Towson goalkeeper Travis Love as time expired.