Towson vs. Villanova
April 15, 2006
The Game Story:
TOWSON, Md. - Towson locked up a second seed along with home field advantage for the upcoming Colonial Athletic Association tournament semifinals in early May with a big fourth quarter to pull away from a stubborn Villanova team in an 11-6 victory over the Wildcats in Johnny Unitas Stadium on Senior Night.

Their third win in a row pushed the Tigers to 7-4 overall and 4-1 in the CAA while the Wildcats dropped to 5-7 and 3-2 in the league. The victory enabled Towson to keep its slate against Villanova clean as the Tigers boosted their record against the Wildcats to 15-0. It was also Towson's 30th win in its last 31 games when scoring in double digits.

Towson's leading scorer, senior attackman Phil Grillo, led the way with three goals. Junior midfielder Keith Obloj tied his career high in points with three assists and a goal. Senior goalkeeper Mark DeGroat came up with 11 saves.

The Tigers struck first when Nick Williams came up with a loose ball right in front of the Wildcats' goal and swept it in just 1:58 into the contest. Towson netted another several minutes later when Kyle Fiat broke free and beat Villanova goalie Joe Canuso on a one-on-one for a 2-0 Tigers' lead.

Villanova got on the scoreboard midway in the period when Chris MacDonald caught the Tigers in an unsettled situation. The Tigers got the goal back when Bobby Griebe took a Steve Mull pass and rammed it home as the quarter was winding down for a 3-1 Towson lead.

After a scoreless second quarter the Wildcats' Matthew Fritts got things going quickly to start the second half, scoring just 24 seconds into the period with a high shot. Grillo put Towson's lead back to two on a cut goal off a pass from Obloj at the 9:55 mark.

That sparked a 3-0 Towson run with Brian Vetter and the Obloj-to-Grillo combination connecting for a 6-2 lead. Villanova's Andy German stopped the bleeding with two unassisted goals to start a 3-0 Villanova run capped by Dan Liva's marker to end a wild third quarter with Towson on top, 6-5.

The trading continued as Obloj found Bacon on the crease but MacDonald kept the Wildcats close with a goal two minutes later to trim Towson's lead to 7-6 with 11:23 remaining in the contest. From there, however, it was all Towson.

Bacon came up with the ball on a strip in the Wildcats' zone, zipped the ball to a waiting Griebe on the grease for the goal. Two minutes later Grillo registered his hat trick on a feed from Mull. Obloj then capped off a career night with an unassisted goal for a 10-6 lead. Vetter finished the scoring at the 1:37 mark.

Towson is back in action again next Saturday when the Tigers travel to Sacred Heart for their CAA finale. Villanova travels to Delaware in another key league match up.