Umbc vs. North Carolina
April 16, 2005
The Game Story:
Baltimore, MD—The University of North Carolina (4-7) men’s lacrosse team spoiled the unveiling of the new artificial surface at UMBC Stadium with a dominating second half performance in a 11-5 victory the Retrievers (5-6) in a non-conference contest.

UMBC had won the last three meetings between the two squads in Baltimore in 1999, 2001, and 2003 by a total of four goals and it appeared the 2005 match-up would follow the same script. Neither team took more than a one goal lead in the first half and the first 30 minutes would up deadlocked at 3-all. The teams again exchanged goals to start the third quarter, as Retriever junior midfielder Andy Gallagher answered UNC senior attackman Jed Prossner’s initial second half marker with an unassisted score at the 5:01 mark.

But the Tar Heels, facing elimination from the post-season with a loss, countered with five straight goals, holding UMBC off the board for over 16 minutes. Prossner got the go-ahead score, his third of the day, at the 7:19 mark, and, after a Rob Driscoll goal at 11:58, Prossner fed linemate Mike McCall at 12:48 to give the visitors a 7-4 lead after three quarters.

It was the start of a huge second half for McCall, who scored three goals in the fourth quarter. Carolina built a 9-4 advantage before UMBC freshman attackman Nick Fatseas broke the drought by converting a Brendan Mundorf pass on an extra-man situation at the 6:15 mark. But McCall ended any hopes of a rally as he beat UMBC netminder Kevin Cepelak on a one-on-one situation after receiving a long downfield clearing pass from his own goalkeeper Paul Spellman at the 11:32 mark.

Prossner led all scorers with 3 goals and 3 assists, while McCall totaled 4 goals. Freshman midfielder Nicholas Tintle added 2 goals for the Tar Heels. Mundorf led UMBC with 1 goal and 2 assists, Gallagher posted a pair of goals, and sophomore attackman Drew Westervelt had a goal and a helper.

Shots (13-all) and ground balls (18-all) were even at intermission, but UNC outshot the Retrievers, 28-17, in the second half and won the ground ball battle, 28-16 over the final 30 minutes. Spellman and Cepelak were both outstanding for their respective squads, as the former made 15 saves for UNC, while Cepelak, one of ten seniors making their final home regular season appearance, stopped a season high 18 shots.

The game was played on UMBC’s new Momentum 51 artificial turf. The Retrievers had played two home games off campus and the last three on the grass surface of UMBC Soccer Stadium. The lacrosse program also honored its 10 seniors playing their final regular season home game.