Villanova vs. Towson
April 9, 2005
The Game Story:
VILLANOVA, Pa. - Last year Jonathan Engelke scored a national single game high eight goals against Villanova. Saturday night he scored only one but it came in the fourth overtime as the Tigers outlasted a spirited Wildcat bunch 10-9 in a Colonial Athletic Association contest.

The win preserved Towson's perfect record against Villanova, upping the series mark to 13-0. The victory also helps to keep the Tigers in the CAA race. The Wildcats were sharing the top spot in the league with a 2-0 record but fall to 2-1. The Tigers improved to 2-1 and 7-3 overall.

Although Engelke was the eventual hero it was his attack mates, Bobby Griebe and Steve Mull and an aggressive defense who put the Tigers in position for the win.

Griebe netted a career high five goals and Mull chipped in with a career high five assists. Middies Todd MacMullan (2), Oliver Bacon and Kyle Fiat rounded out the scoring for Towson.

"That was a great lacrosse game," said Tiger coach Tony Seaman. "Both teams played phenomenal. Both goalies made saves throughout the overtimes. Nobody deserved to lose."

Towson struck first when Bacon put in a lefthanded shot from 10 yards out with 12:29 left in the first quarter. But that was to be the only score of the opening period.

The Tigers began the second quarter much like the first. MacMullan took a Mull feed and scored just 1:12 into the period to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead. The Wildcats took advantage of an illegal procedure call on the ensuing faceoff and surprised the Tigers with some quick stick work that produced a Dan Biser goal five seconds later.

Griebe put the Tigers back on top by a pair, 3-1, with a goal at the 8:05 mark but then the Wildcats went on a rampage, scoring three goals in 53 seconds with long pole Paul Genovese igniting the run off a broken clear as Villanova sped to a 4-3 lead.

MacMullan finally stopped the Wildcat run with an extra man goal with 1:58 remaining in the first half to knot the score at 4-4.

Towson regained the advantage in the third quarter with a rampage of its own. Griebe scored twice and got help from Fiat for a 3-0 run and a 7-4 lead with 4:43 left in the period. Villanova got one back before the quarter ended with Matt Panneton scoring on an extra man goal, beating the clock with six seconds left.

That seem to energize the Wildcats again who scored two goals within 16 seconds early in the fourth quarter to tie the score again at 7-7 with 12:25 remaining.

Griebe tallied his fourth of the game a minute later to return the lead to Towson, getting an assist from Mull who had stolen the ball on a failed Villanova clear. But Villanova came right back at the 9:11 mark to tie it up again, 8-8, on a ,B.Matt Starker. goal.

Dan Fanelli put the Wildcats ahead 9-8 on an unassisted goal coming from behind with 3:35 to play. Griebe, who has 11 goals in the last three games, sent the game into overtime when he dug the ball out of a scrum in front of the Wildcat goal and put it in from eight yards out.

The overtimes were agonizing, especially for the Tigers. Villanova maintained possession for much of the extra time. Towson never touched the ball in the third overtime and had to withstand two penalties.

With less than two minutes to play in the fourth overtime the Tigers gained control of the ball. After a timeout the ball was worked to Engelke on the crease where he beat Villanova goalkeeper Joseph Canuso with a quick stick marker to end the second longest game in Towson lacrosse history. The Tigers' 10-9 loss to Hofstra in 1989 last 77 minutes and 13 seconds. This game was two minutes less than that.

Towson goalie Reed Sothoron had 15 saves, making six in the overtime as the Wildcats continually sprayed shots his way in the final 15 minutes and 13 seconds.