Virginia vs. Cornell
March 9, 2013
The Game Story:
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Cornell senior attackman Steve Mock took a pass from linemate Rob Pannell and ripped a shot to score the game-winning goal with 13 seconds remaining as the No. 3 Big Red men's lacrosse team came back to defeat No. 8 Virginia this evening at Klöckner Stadium. The goal capped a wild fourth quarter and ended Cornell's four-game losing streak against the Cavaliers.

Cornell (5-0) found itself trailing by four goals midway through the third quarter but Pannell had a hand in five of the Big Red's final seven goals as the visitors stole the 12-11 victory.

“This is a character-building win,” said head coach Ben DeLuca. “I'm very proud of how our guys handled this game and it's a credit to our captains and our seniors. We've had a tough stretch, with this being our fifth game in 13 days, and we had to work extremely hard to get this win. Klöckner is a tough environment to play in and UVA came out flying, as we knew they would, but we found a way to answer. We hurt ourselves early on as we were a little hasty and made some bad decisions that resulted in some poor turnovers, but we settled down in the second half and defended well to grind out the win.”

Pannell finished the game with two goals and four assists, while Connor English, a former Cavalier in his second season with Cornell, registered three goals. Mock and Max Van Bourgondien both tallied two goals and one assist. Connor Buczek chipped in one goal and one assist and John Hogan and Dan Litner finished with one goal each.

Virginia (5-2) was led by Nick O'Reilly with three goals and one assists, while Ryan Tucker and one goal and two assists. Mark Cockerton and Rob Emery had two goals apiece.

UVA held the edge in shots (34-33), but Cornell had the advantage in ground balls (36-34). The Big Red also won 16-of-25 face-offs.

Both Cornell's AJ Fiore and the Cavaliers Dan Marino posted seven saves.

With Cornell trailing 9-5 with just under seven minutes to play in the third quarter, Pannell found John Hogan cutting to the net and the sophomore midfielder converted for the first of three consecutive Big Red goals. Just 39 seconds later Van Bourgondien dodged down the right alley and blistered a shot past Marino to make it 9-7 at the third intermission.

With just 2:31 gone in the fourth quarter English dodged through traffic and bounced a shot past Marino to make it a one-goal contest (9-8).

UVA's Tucker answered at the 8:53 mark but English struck again just over a minute later, this time off a pass from Pannell, to make it a one-goal game once more.

Van Bourgondien's second goal of the game, also off a pass from Pannell, knotted the game at 10-10 with 3:21 to play and just over a minute later, Pannell registered an unassisted goal to put Cornell up 11-10 for its first lead of the night.

Cornell won the ensuing faceoff but a turnover with 45 seconds to play sent the Cavaliers on a fastbreak down the field and Emery scored off a pass from Tucker to knot the game at 11-11 with 39 seconds to play.

Tesoriero won the restart, making him 14-of-23 on the night, and Jason Noble scooped up his third ground ball of the game to get possession to the Big Red and set up Mock's heroics.

Cornell opens Ivy League play next weekend when it travels to Yale to take on the Bulldogs on Saturday, March 16 at 1 p.m.