Vmi vs. Mount Saint Mary's
April 27, 2005
The Game Story:
LEXINGTON, Va. - Junior attackman Will Collier (Centreville, Va./Woodberry Forest) scored a season-high four goals to lead the Virginia Military Institute lacrosse team to a 16-14 win over Mount St. Mary’s at Patchin Field earlier Wednesday afternoon. The victory ends a two-game losing streak for the Keydets who improve to 6-7 overall and 3-4 in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. Meanwhile, it was the second straight loss for the Mounts who fell to 6-8, 5-2. The victory was special for VMI as it beat a team that has been at or near the top of the conference standings most of the season.

The Keydets, who scored a season-high 16 goals, broke a scoreless tie in the first minute of play with junior midfielder Tony Cavalero (Annandale, Va./Annandale) scoring unassisted just 26 seconds into the game. VMI would build on that early lead by scoring the next five goals to take a 6-0 lead with 3:12 left to play in the first quarter. Collier made his presence felt by scoring three of those next five goals to help the Keydets take control early.

Mount St. Mary’s would get on the board with an unassisted goal by senior attackman Daniel Hatton (Corning, N.Y./Corning East) just inside of three minutes to play in the opening stanza. The Mounts would add a second goal in the closing seconds of the first quarter to pull within 6-2 after one quarter. That would be the start of an 8-0 run by Mount St. Mary’s as the game of runs started to take shape. Hatton would score three of the eight goals during the run while junior attackman Matt Warner (Corning, N.Y./Corning East) and sophomore midfielder Eric Seifert (Dover, Del./Caesar Rodney) each scored twice.

VMI answered back with an important goal with just 29 seconds left in the second quarter to stop the Mount’s rally. Collier scored off an assist from freshman midfielder Kevin Hill (Rockville, Centre, N.Y./South Side) to put the Keydets down only 8-7 at the half.

“It was a game of runs,” VMI coach Doug Bartlett said. “Beating Mount St. Mary’s is nice. It was a total team effort.”

VMI made sure of that as it got goals from nine different players while five different Keydets registered an assist in the victory. VMI was well represented by its’ seniors as senior attackman Leo McInerney (Syracuse, N.Y./Marcellus), senior midfielder Erik Rohrmann (Ridgefield, Conn./Ridgefield), and senior attackman Gabe McCaig (Painted post, N.Y./Corning West) each got in on the scoring act. McInerney finished with two goals and two assists, Rohrmann had one goal, and McCaig scored two goals.

“The seniors are doing a phenomenal job,” Bartlett said. “They want to leave their mark on the program.”

Trailing by one at the half, the Keydets came out in the third quarter and continued to push forward on attack. The result was just like the start of the game as VMI scored in the opening minute of play, this time with junior attackman Robert Trimble (Oak Hill, Va./Oakton) scoring off a McInerney assist to force an 8-8 tie. The Keydets would score the next four goals to complete a 6-0 run as it took a 12-8 lead with 5:43 left in the third quarter.

“We really decided to crank it up and go up tempo and have some fun,” Bartlett said. “I think we wore them down.”

Trailing by four, Mount St. Mary’s would not surrender. Goals by Hatton and Seifert brought the Mounts to within 12-10 after the third quarter setting the stage for one final and frantic fourth quarter. However, Mount St. Mary’s would get no closer than two goals in the final period as VMI was up to the challenge both offensively and defensively. The teams

split eight goals in the final period, alternating two-goal streaks throughout the quarter. McInerney and Rohrmann scored the first two goals of the period before the Mounts came back with two straight to once again pull within two at 14-12 with 9:29 left to play. However on this day of runs, the Keydets had an answer as junior midfielder David Trimble (Oak Hill, Va./Oakton) scored a man-up goal off an assist from Robert Trimble before Hill added an unassisted goal for a 16-12 lead.

Although 7:09 still remained on the clock, Mount St. Mary’s fell short in trying to erase the four-goal deficit. A goal by Warner with 3:17 left brought the Mounts to within two at 16-14 but that would be the final margin. Mount St. Mary’s would force the action with some long passes in an effort to score quickly in the final couple of minutes before the final horn sounded.

Hatton led the Mounts with five goals and added one assist in finishing as one of three players with six points on the day for Mount St. Mary’s. Warner also had six points on four goals and two assists while junior attackman Jason Werner (Severna Park, Md./Severn) had one goal and five assists.

VMI returns to action on Saturday, April 30 when it plays at Marist in its’ final game of the season beginning at 1:00 pm.