Vmi vs. Vermont
March 13, 2010
The Game Story:

LEXINGTON, Va. – A 6-0 fourth quarter advantage proved to be the difference Saturday, as the visiting Vermont Catamounts knocked off the VMI Keydets, 12-8, in a non-conference lacrosse contest played at Foster Stadium in Lexington, Va.

Trailing 8-6 entering the final period, Vermont scored six unanswered goals over the final 15 minutes to prevail and move to 1-4 on the season. The Catamounts went 2 for 3 on extra-man chances during the fourth quarter and were aided by five of VMI’s 10 penalties being assessed over the last 11:35 of play. Geoff Worley had four goals for the visitors, while Drew Philie added a trio of markers.

VMI dropped to 2-5 on the year despite winning 18 of 22 face-offs, including 13 of 14 in the second half and 6 of 6 in the fourth quarter. Stephen Robarge had 11 ground balls, a season-high, and contested all 22 draws for the Keydets during Saturday’s game. Offensively, Tim Moran, Jacob Weimer and Bobby Davis had two goals apiece in the losing cause.

The Catamounts got off to a quick start, as Worley scored the first of his quartet of goals just 85 seconds into the game, putting Vermont up 1-0 early. Davis responded off the ensuing face-off, tallying his eighth goal of the season to tie the score at one.

The game appeared it would be a quick, high-scoring affair, but both teams settled down after Davis’ score. Neither could find the board again until the 5:31 mark, when Moran fed Weimer for the go-ahead score. The Keydets would hold that 2-1 edge at the end of the first quarter, thanks to an 11-6 edge in shots and a perfect 6 for 6 in clear attempts.

Vermont outshot VMI in the second period, 15-7, but despite that, it was the Keydets who scored first in the quarter, as Davis made a run down the sideline off a clear. His quick shot at 13:20 beat Vermont keeper Alex Plavner and gave VMI a 3-1 edge. The Catamounts closed the half well, however, as they removed Plavner at the 11:16 mark and replaced him with David Barton, who had not seen action this season. The move seemed to spark the visitors, as they scored the last three goals of the half, including two man-up scores, and took a 4-3 edge to the locker room at the intermission.

The Keydets opened the second half by launching a three-goal run of their own. Weimer started the spurt at 10:29, as he scored off a pass from Colin Bosse to tie the score, 4-4. Moran then scored his first goal at the 9:37 mark, and followed quickly with another at 8:00 to give VMI a two-goal lead again, 6-4.

Vermont fired back with a man-up goal from A.J. Masson, as he scored with 6:35 left in the period, but Keith Long and Bosse found the back of the net in the next minute of play to give VMI its biggest lead of the day, 8-5. The Catamounts would close the period with a Michael O’Connor goal with 90 seconds on the clock, sending the game to its decisive fourth quarter. There, Vermont outshot the Keydets 14-5 and got two goals apiece from Worley and Philie, en route to outscoring the home team 6-0 and claiming the win.

In addition to Moran, Davis and Weimer, the Keydets saw Bosse and Long score in Saturday’s contest. Moran’s two goals moved him into a tie for ninth on VMI’s all-time list, as the senior now has 78 career markers. Kelly McMinn stopped 10 shots for VMI, and the Keydet netminder has now posted double-digit saves in five consecutive games.

For Vermont, O'Connor had two goals and Cal Case tallied three points in the win. Barton made seven saves for the Catamounts, who will take on #1 Virginia in their next game, Tuesday night in Charlottesville.

VMI lacrosse will return to action Saturday, March 20, as the Keydets open MAAC play by playing host to the Marist Red Foxes at Foster Stadium. Game time is set for 1 p.m.