Yale vs. Providence
March 5, 2009
The Game Story:
NEW HAVEN, CONN. - Senior attackman Bobby Labadini (Westford, Mass.) scored a career-high five goals and added one assist, but the Providence College men's lacrosse dropped an 11-10, overtime, decision at Yale on March 5 in New Haven, Conn.

The Friars got off to a slow start, trailing 4-1 late in the second quarter. However, the tide started to turn in Providence's favor when sophomore Mike Feldburg (Voorhees, N.J.) picked up a groundball off an initial shot and stuck it in the back of the cage with one-second left in the half.

Feldberg's goal got the Friars within two (4-2) at the half, and marked the first tally in a string of five unanswered goals by Providence to take a 6-4 lead with 6:47 left in the third quarter. Labadini was credited with three of his five goals in the turnaround.

Yale halted the Friars' run with 4:53 left in the third as Michael Karwoski found the back of the net off a feed from Matt Fuchs to make the score 6-5 heading into the fourth quarter.

Freshman Evan Olsen (Tampa, Fla.) got things started for the Friars just 1:08 into the fourth with his second goal of the game to put Providence ahead, 7-5. Olsen's goal was assisted by Labadini. Sophomore Steve Lydon (Braintree, Mass.) gave the Friars a three-goal advantage (8-5) just 42-second later, unassisted.

Yale would rally to score four-consecutive goals to take a 9-8 lead with 4:45 remaining in the game. Matt Fuchs was credited with the go-ahead goal during a man-up situation. However, Labadini and sophomore Evan Helda (Charlotte, N.C.) would record back-to-back goals to give Providence a 10-9 advantage with under two minutes to play. Labadini scored, man-up, at 2:57. Helda found the back of the net off a feed from Colin Tigh (Garden City, N.Y.) with 1:53 on the clock.

Brian Douglas tied the game for Yale, 10-10, less than a minute later (1:15) and forced overtime. The Friars had a scoring chance in the final three seconds of the fourth quarter to win the game, but the shot attempt sailed wide and the overtime session ensued.

Matt Gibson won the game for Yale with a unassisted goal just 1:26 into the extra session. With the victory, Yale improves to 2-1 overall. Providence drops to 0-3 on the year.

Providence goalkeeper Robert Bryan (Apex, N.C.) registered 16 saves in the cage and picked up two groundballs. Andrew Brown allowed nine goals and recorded five saves in the cage for Yale. He was replaced by Johnathan Falcone who allowed one goal and did not record a save.

Providence returns to action on March 11 against North Carolina. Opening face-off is set for 3:00 p.m. in Chapel Hill, N.C.