Binghamton vs. Cornell
February 21, 2009
The Game Story:
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – The Cornell University men’s lacrosse team scored the first seven goals of the contest and never looked back as it defeated Binghamton, 18-6, at the Bearcat Sports Complex this afternoon. With the win, the Big Red improves to 1-0, while Binghamton falls to 0-1.

Freshman Rob Pannell was dominant in his collegiate debut, registering three goals and four assists to lead Cornell, while junior Ryan Hurley picked up where he left off last season, scoring three goals and adding two assists. The senior trio of Max Seibald, Chris Finn and Kyle Doctor all registered two goals apiece, with Seibald and Finn adding one assist each for three points on the day. Senior John Glynn also had three points with a goal and two assists.

In goal, senior Kyle Harer was solid in his first start for the Big Red, making 10 saves and allowing just four goals in 51:51, before giving way to sophomore Mat Martinez, who stopped five shots and allowed two goals in the final 8:09.

Binghamton was led by Jake Boyce and Mike Sciarrino with one goal and one assist apiece, while senior Larry Kline made 14 saves.

Cornell outshot the Bearcats, 40-26, and held the edge in ground balls, 37-25. The Big Red won 17-of-29 face-offs, thanks in large part to Glynn, who went 9-for-11 on the afternoon. Both teams converted 1-of-2 extra-man opportunities.

Pannell wasted little time making his mark in his collegiate debut as he rolled around the back of the net and centered the ball to Doctor, who scored from close range to make it 1-0 at the 13:04 mark.

Not to be undone by the rookie, the familiar connection of Glynn and Seibald teamed up as Glynn carried the ball into the offensive box and found Seibald 10 yards in front of the net. Seibald caught the pass, spun and fired a low rocket past Kline’s feet to give the Big Red the 2-0 lead.

Just over two minutes later, the Cornell attack showed off its riding ability as Hurley chased down Kline, who had carried the ball out of the defensive end. Hurley forced Kline to send a wild pass back to the middle of the field, where Pannell scooped it up and lofted the ball into the open net.

Pannell had a hand in Cornell’s fourth goal as he caught a pass from Glynn on the right side of the crease, spun and threaded a pass through the Binghamton defenders to Hurley, who converted on the doorstep. Hurley then fed Glynn for a 20-yard bomb to make it a 5-0 game with 18 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

Hurley opened the scoring in the second quarter off a feed from Shane O’Neill, before finding Pannell on the crease for the freshman’s second goal of the game, putting Cornell up, 7-0, just four minutes into the second stanza.

Neither team managed much offense for the rest of the quarter as Boyce’s unassisted goal at the 3:34 mark got Binghamton on the board and sent the teams into the intermission with a score of 7-1.

Hurley registered the first goal of the third period when he took a pass from Seibald, wrapped around the goal, faked Kline and deposited the ball in the back of the net.

Less than two minutes later, freshman Roy Lang scored his first collegiate goal as he streaked down the middle of the field, fought off two defenders and sent a perfectly placed shot into the lower left hand corner of the goal to make it a 9-1 contest.

A rocket of a shot by Seibald, off a pass from Pannell, gave the Big Red its only extra-man goal, before Pannell found Doctor on the right side of the net for an easy goal to put the visitors up by double-digits, 11-1, at the 7:54 mark.

Sciarrino ended the Cornell run with an unassisted goal with 5:06 to play in the third period, but Cornell responded with three straight goals from Pannell, O’Neill and Finn to make it a 14-2 game with just over 14 minutes left in the contest.

The Bearcats got back-to-back goals for the first time in the game when Steven Carlson and Andy Cook made it 14-4 at the 9:43 mark.

The teams traded goals the rest of the way until back-to-back goals by Finn and Chris Ritchie gave Cornell the 18-6 lead with less than three minutes to play.

The Big Red remains on the road next weekend as it travels to Army to take on the Black Knights at Mitchie Stadium on Saturday, Feb. 28 at 5 p.m. The game will be broadcast for a nationwide audience on ESPNU.