Saint John's vs. Drexel
March 7, 2009
The Game Story:
QUEENS, N.Y. - With a career-high of seven points, senior midfielder Trevor Michaelsen led the No. 19 St. John's men's lacrosse team to a come-from-behind non-conference victory over the Drexel Dragons, 8-6, Saturday afternoon at DaSilva Memorial Field. Michaelsen's five goals and two assists marked an overall career game for the upperclassman, as he tallied career highs in all three scoring categories.

With the win, St. John's is undefeated at 4-0 on the season, while Drexel drops to 1-3. The victory is the Red Storm's first over the Dragons in the teams' five-year history.

The Red Storm got off to a slow start as Drexel took a two goal lead for most of the first period off goals by Colin Ambler and Kyle Bergman. With 1:39 left in the period, Michaelsen, fed from freshman Carl Iacona, got St. John's out of the scoring rut.

Four and a half minutes into the second period, Michaelsen scored his third EMO goal of the season as the Red Storm took advantage of a Drexel holding penalty to even the score at 10:47. Freshman Harry Kutner assisted the man-up goal as he fed it out to Michaelsen who cut in front of the net.

Iacona gave the Red Storm its first lead of the game with 1:13 left in the half, but Ambler tied it up again at 3-3 with 2:31 remaining in the third period.

At 6:19 in the third, Michaelsen and Iacona connected for a second time to give St. John's the 4-3 lead. Michaelsen's goal marked his first hat trick of the season.

Drexel answered back as 43 seconds remained in the period with a goal from Bergman to tie the score at 4. With some confusion in front of the net after the goal, Drexel's Brian Neary was charged with a major penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct giving St. John's the man-up advantage once again.

Senior Malcolm Miles, fed by Michaelsen, was not about to let the opportunity go by as he one-timed the ball into the net with 18 seconds left in the period.

In the final period, Michaelsen and senior Drew Schanen each scored a goal to give St. John's the 7-4 lead with 4:28 left in the game.

Michaelsen increased the lead to four goals at 2:52 as he picked up a loose ball ground ball and shot into the Drexel goal for his fifth goal of the game.

With just over 30 seconds to play in the final period, Drexel sunk two quick goals to cut the lead to two with 7 seconds left. Although Drexel won the final face-off, time clicked away and St. John's held off the Dragons for the win.

St. John's junior goaltender Gavin Buckley was once again crucial in goal for the Red Storm. He posted 12 saves with five in the third period. Buckley helped St .John's overcome tricky turnovers in front of the net. At the 7:21 mark, Buckley blanked a shot attempt by Drexel's Adam Dennis, it bounced off his stick and was picked up by Greg Casey who fired it back at Buckley for another attempt. Buckley controlled the ball was able to start the clear which resulted in the Red Storm's go-ahead goal by Michaelsen.

For the Dragons, Bergman led the team in scoring with a hat trick. Freshman goaltender Mark Manos a central player for Drexel, held off 17 St. John's shots. Drexel was dominant in face-offs, winning 11-of-17.

Up next, St. John's will travel to Baltimore, Md., to play its second ECAC game of the season against the Loyola Greyhounds on Saturday, March 14. Face-off is slated for 1 p.m. on Diane Geppi-Aikens Field. The Red Storm is 1-0 in conference play this season.