Saint John's vs. Georgetown
April 6, 2013
The Game Story:
Bethpage, N.Y. - For the second-straight season, the matchup between No. 14/10 St. John's (7-3, 2-2) and Georgetown (5-6, 2-1) went beyond the allotted 60 minutes, as the Red Storm fell 14-13 to the Hoyas in overtime in the Battle at Bethpage on the campus of Bethpage H.S.

St. John's led in the final minute, but a goal from Charles McCormick with seven seconds remaining was followed by a Dan McKinney tally on the extra period's first possession to grab victory away from the Johnnies. The fans at Bethpage were treated to an up-and-down contest which featured 14 different goal scorers and six lead changes, as the Hoyas were able to claim the final one.

The Red Storm had defeated the Hoyas 13-12 last season in overtime at Georgetown on April 7, 2012. St. John's trailed 12-10 with only 42 seconds left but scored twice in the final minute and on the first possession of overtime to take the victory.

Jeff Lowman captured the St. John's all-time saves record in the first half before having to exit with concussion symptoms. The senior registered five saves in the first half, which brought his career total to 587 saves surpassing Joe Weingart's previous record of 585. Harrison Burke performed valiantly in relief stopping seven shots in the second half.

At the offensive end, Kieran McArdle finished with eight points, three goals and five assists, and increased his season point total to 70 in ten games. The attackman has four games of eight or more points this season, which earned the junior St. John's MVP honors for the Battle at Bethpage event.

Ryan Fitzgerald had his best offensive day of 2013 finishing with three goals and one assist. After last week's seven-point game at Notre Dame, Kevin Cernuto followed the performance up with three goals and his sixth hat trick of the season. The last time three Red Storm players recorded a hat trick in the same game was in the 20-13 win over Rutgers on March 16. Mark DiFrangia had a solid day at close defense, as he picked up three groundballs and caused two turnovers. Mario Carrera continued to improve at the X with a 10-of-18 performance on faceoffs.

St. John's outshot Georgetown 45-41 but finished behind in the groundball category, 40-33. The Red Storm totaled 14-of-31 on faceoffs. Reilly O'Connor led the Hoyas with four goals and one assist, while goalie Jake Haley recorded 13 saves.

From the game's opening minutes, Alex Lagodich set the tone for a fast-paced, nine-goal first quarter with an unassisted goal at 13:29. Georgetown would rattle off three straight tallies as Joe Bucci, Grant Fisher and Bo Stafford all found the net for the Hoyas. Keith Switzer took it himself and beat Haley to bring the score to 3-2 on the next St. John's possession. Brandon Ayers evened the game on the next possession as McArdle found him streaking open toward cage and the senior midfielder buried it into the net. McCormick scored to take the lead back for the Hoyas but Fitzgerald took a McArdle pass and scored again to knot the score at four. O'Connor closed the first quarter with an unassisted goal to give the Hoyas a 5-4 advantage at the close of the first 15 minutes.

McArdle found the net just over two minutes into the second quarter with a quick lefty shot. Cernuto proceeded with his first tally as well approximately a minute later off a pass from Fitzgerald. The Red Storm grabbed its largest lead of the game after McArdle scored and then assisted Fitzgerald on the man-up to put St. John's on top 8-5. Bucci and O'Connor scored consecutive goals for the Hoyas to bring the halftime ledger to 8-7 in favor of the Red Storm.

The injury to Lowman forced St. John's to turn to the freshman Burke who had played just over four minutes on the season thus far. Burke responded with four third quarter saves to help keep St. John's in the game. Cernuto opened the third quarter by finishing off a McArdle feed to give St. John's a 9-7 lead. O'Connor scored off the ensuing faceoff after Tyler Knarr won and fed the crease for Georgetown. James Bonanno, the Wantagh, N.Y. native, scored in his return trip to the island, and St. John's took a 10-8 lead. O'Connor scored for the Hoyas unassisted before Fitzgerald converted off another pass from McArdle as the three combined all three of Fitzgerald's goals. Travis Comeau scored his only goal for Georgetown followed by Jason McFadden's man-up goal to end the quarter with a tie score of 11-11.

St. John's was 7-0 on the season when leading or tied heading into the fourth quarter, but a McKinney goal at the beginning of the fourth capped a three-goal run for the Hoyas and gave Georgetown its first lead since 12:47 in the second quarter. Cernuto scored on the man-up with an assist from Dillon Ayers to tie the score. McArdle stepped up and connected on a difficult shot to put St. John's ahead, 13-12, with 6:29 left to play in the game. The Red Storm controlled possession for most of the final minutes but Georgetown benefitted off an unsettled situation and created a scoring chance in the game's final seconds. Burke stopped the initial Georgetown effort but McCormick scooped up the rebound and hit the top corner to send the game into overtime.

The Hoyas won the opening faceoff and called timeout to set up their offense. Dan McKinney beat his man to the inside and finished off the Georgetown comeback.

St. John's is now 2-11 all-time against Georgetown and lost the first matchup between the BIG EAST rivals on a neutral field.

Stay up to date with all St. John's lacrosse news at and following the team on Twitter, @STJ_Lacrosse.