Robert Morris vs. Hobart
March 17, 2013
The Game Story:

Junior attackman Cam Stone handed out a Hobart Division I record eight assists, but Robert Morris rode a big third quarter to a 16-12 victory this afternoon at Joe Walton Stadium in Moon Township, Pa. Both teams are now 4-3.

Stone had a hand in three-quarters of the Statesmen goals, setting up eight—one more than the previous record shared by John Bogosian '03 and Jamie Kirk '08—and scoring one of his own. The nine points tied Bogosian's Hobart Division I game record set on March 24, 2001, against Lehigh. Stone's point total marks the best by a Statesman since Ray Gilliam '87 notched 12 points (4g,8a) against Geneseo on April 2, 1986.

Junior attackman Alex Love continued his torrid start, scoring five goals. He's produced at least one goal in 17 consecutive games and has 15 career hat tricks. Junior attackman Jake McHenry added four goals. Senior midfielder Jake Silberlicht and first-year midfielder Frank Brown both contributed a goal and an assist. Senior long-stick midfielder Ethan O'Connor grabbed a team-high seven ground balls and senior defenseman Reid Rosello caused a game-high five turnovers. Junior Peter Zonino made 12 saves.

The Colonials got five-point performances from Dave Morton (5g) and Luke Laszkiewicz (1g,4a). Jake Hayes added a hat trick. Connor Martin, Tyler Digby, and Nicholas Beaudoin were each credited with two goals and an assist. Beaudoin paced RMU at the X, winning 18-of-31 faceoffs and scooping up a game-high eight ground balls. Charles Ruppert earned the win with nine saves.

Hobart went into halftime tied at 4-all thanks to Brown's tally off a feed from Stone with six seconds remaining in the second quarter. Love gave the Statesmen the lead 2:58 into the second half with his third goal of the game. It took just six seconds for the Colonials to pull even and 45 seconds after that they retook the lead on Hayes' unassisted goal.

Love tied the game for the sixth and final time at the 8:58 mark of the third quarter, but Robert Morris scored five straight goals, including a pair of extra-man tallies, in just over four minutes to end the frame with an 11-6 lead. In the third quarter, the Colonials won 8-of-10 faceoffs, outshot Hobart 20-6, and held a 13-8 advantage on ground balls.

The Statesmen never gave up, clawing their way back throughout the fourth quarter. Stone set up McHenry for an extra-man goal early in the final frame followed two minutes later by Stone's goal off a Brown feed to make it an 11-8 game. RMU got both scores back, but Hobart netted four of the next six goals, all four assisted by Stone, to get within three, 15-12, with 1:55 remaining. The Statesmen got an added bonus when the Colonials were flagged for slashing following McHenry's fourth goal. Unfortunately for Hobart, RMU won the ensuing faceoff and iced the victory with the day's final score with 30 seconds remaining.

For the day, Hobart was outshot 49-38. Robert Morris enjoyed a 43-28 advantage in ground balls and an 18-13 edge on faceoffs. The Colonials were 4-for-4 with the extra-man and cleared 19-of-20 attempts. The Statesmen went 2-for-5 with the extra-man and were 15-of-20 on clears.

Hobart, which completed a brutal stretch of five games in 16 days, will return home to host Fairfield on Saturday, March 23. The opening faceoff at Boswell Field is scheduled for 1 p.m.