Robert Morris vs. Villanova
April 12, 2008
The Game Story:
MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Villanova (4-8, 2-2 CAA) first tied the game with 19 seconds left in regulation and then scored 49 seconds into the second overtime period to pull out an 11-10 victory over Robert Morris (4-9, 0-4 CAA) on Saturday afternoon at Joe Walton Stadium. The Wildcats were playing in their second straight double overtime contest in a span of four days and came away with their second league win of the season.

Junior Tim Driscoll (Montville, N.J.) scored the game-winner for Villanova, which ended the game on the only possession of the second overtime period. Freshman John Lade (Randolph, N.J.) won the face-off to start the period and the Wildcats immediately called a timeout to draw up a potential game-ending play. Moments later, the sequence started when sophomore Paul Webber (Manhasset, N.Y.) found Driscoll for the winning goal.

The game was close throughout but Villanova pulled away from a 5-5 halftime tie to take an 8-6 lead at the end of the third quarter. The teams traded goals early in the fourth period and a Webber assist on a goal by sophomore Mark Scioscia (East Hampton, N.Y.) put the Wildcats in front 9-7 with 9:35 to play.

The two-goal margin wasn't quite enough, however, as the Colonials scored three unanswered goals in a span of just 2:29 to take a 10-9 lead with 5:58 remaining. It was the first time Robert Morris had been in front since the first five minutes of the game.

The go-ahead goal by Trevor Moore put Villanova back on the offensive and the Wildcats went down to the wire before junior Tim Langan, Jr. (Madison, N.J.) tied the score at 10-10 with 19 seconds left in regulation with an unassisted goal.

Villanova owned a 35-29 shot advantage for the game but was outshot 7-5 in the fourth quarter by the Colonials. The margin swung back around in extra time as the Wildcats owned a 2-1 edge in the first overtime period and won the game on the only shot in the second extra frame.

The excitement at the end of regulation and in overtime was preceded by a frenzied start to the contest, in which four goals were scored in the first 4:24 and seven tallies were made overall in the first quarter. After Robert Morris scored the game's first two goals in the opening three minutes, Villanova scored four straight to go in front for the first time in the contest.

Scioscia scored the first of his two goals with 10:58 to play in the first quarter and Driscoll answered him with his first score just 22 seconds later on a pass from junior Dan Liva (Bryn Mawr, Pa.). Webber made back-to-back tallies later in the period to complete the four-goal run.

Webber finished the day with four goals and two assists, while senior Tim Atkins (West Chester, Pa.), Scioscia and Driscoll each scored twice for the Wildcats. Junior goalie Andrew DiLoreto (Wilton, Conn.) had 10 saves for the afternoon.

Andrew Watt scored four goals and assisted on three others to lead the Colonials, while Moore also wound up with four goals in the game. Corbyn TaoBrambleby added a goal and two assists.

Villanova goes back on the road to face Towson next Friday at 7:30 p.m.