Robert Morris vs. Detroit Mercy
March 13, 2010
The Game Story:
Moon Township, Pa. - March 13, 2010 - The Robert Morris University Colonials only led the Detroit Mercy Titans by two goals after the first half, but exploded in the second half outscoring the Titans nine to two to capture a 15-6 win. With the win the Colonials remain undefeated with a 5-0 record, while the Titans drop to 0-4.

Sophomore Dillon Pope (Smithtown, N.Y. / Smithtown West) played solidly between the pipes and captured a career-high 14 saves in the win. Junior Patrick Smith (Westminster, Md. / Westminster) led the contest with three goals and added one assist and junior Trevor Moore (Port Coquitlam, B.C. / Western Reserve Academy) led the game with five total points, including two goals and three helpers. Junior Corbyn Tao-Brambleby (Coquitlam, B.C. / Western Reserve Academy) finished with a pair of goals and a pair of assists and both Taylor Caparosa (Annapolis, Md. / Annapolis) and Kevin Brownell (Burlington, Ontario / Central) finished with two scores.

Detroit played a solid first quarter, as they outshot RMU 17 to 11, but RMU still managed to come out on top after the first 15 minutes. Caparosa scored the first goal of the contest after 4:37 minutes of play and Detroit was able to match that goal at the 8:30 mark with a goal by John Nowicki off an assist from Tyler Staruch. However, RMU's Smith and Moore each scored one goal in the final five minutes of play to take the lead 3-1.

The Titans immediately responded heading into the second quarter and after just 1:38 Joel Matthews got the ball past Pope, which was immediately followed with a goal by Matt Gregson to knot the score 3-3. Despite being caught off guard with two back-to-back Detroit goals, RMU quickly took the lead back when Smith took advantage of an extra man and scored with 7:41 left on the clock and Taylor Graves (Carlsbad, Calif. / Carlsbad) recorded his lone goal of the contest at11:28. Both teams scored once more before the half and left Robert Morris with the lead, 6-4.

In the third quarter, the Titans opened up play with a goal by Nowicki at 3:48, but Robert Morris overwhelmed the Titans with four unanswered goals throughout the rest of the quarter to give them their biggest lead thus far at 10-5.

RMU's play in the final quarter was almost an exact replica of the third quarter. Detroit Mercy found the net early in the quarter, but Robert Morris quickly wore out the Titans and added five more goals to its collection to finalize the score 15-6.

The Colonials were successful on two-of-three extra man opportunities, while holding the Titans to just one goal on five chances.

Detroit Mercy goalie A.J. Levell finished the game with 12 saves and the Titans were led by Nowicki who tallied two goals and an assist and Nemes who recorded two scores.

Robert Morris looks to extend its winning streak to six games on Tuesday when they face Mount St. Mary's at 3:00 p.m.