Bryant vs. Drexel
March 10, 2012
The Game Story:
Bryant rallied from a five-goal deficit to start the game and defeated Drexel, 7-6, in Smithfield, R.I. on Saturday afternoon. The Bulldogs scored a pair of goals in the final minutes to take their only lead of the game and edge the Dragons by a goal. Drexel fell to 2-4 overall, while Bryant is now 3-2.

The Dragons got off to a great start and played one of their best halfs of the season. Drexel won the opening face-off and within six seconds, Robert Church had the Dragons on the board. Kevin Stockel set up freshman Ryan Belka less than three minutes into the game with the Dragons on the man-up. Midway through the first, Brendan Glynn fired a shot home after a Church feed to make it 3-0. Nick Trizano got on the board in the closing minute of the first. The teams played the next 16 minutes without a goal before Belka fed Kyle Bergman, who gave the Dragons what seemed like an insurmountable 5-0 lead. The Dragons outshot the Bulldogs, 22-18, in the first 30 minutes. Mark Manos had seven of his 10 saves in the first half and kept Bryant off the board.

The game turned in the third quarter as Bryant played with a greater sense of urgency. Once again, there was a stretch of 12 minutes without any scoring, but after that the Bulldogs got right back in the game. Bryant scored three times in a span of 1:06 to make it a 5-3 game. Bryant won all four face-offs in the quarter and fired 11 shots, compared to just four for the Dragons.

Glynn scored his second of the game in the early going of the fourth quarter to give Drexel a little breathing room at 6-3. That didn't last long as Peter McMahon scored with 11:24 to cut the lead to two goals. Alex Zomerfeld, who had a big fourth quarter, set up Max Weisenberg with just over eight minutes to play made it 6-5 as the Bulldogs got within a goal for the first time since the first quarter. Weisenberg returned the favor to Zomerfeld, who tied the game at 6-6 with 6:28 to play. Just over a minute later, Zomerfeld capped off the comeback with what proved to be the game-winning goal at the 5:25 mark. The Dragons had a chance to tie as Bryant went a man-down with a minute left, but Belka's shot was stopped by Bulldog keeper Jameson Love. Drexel also had one more chance in the final seconds when they got possession back. The Dragons called time and set up one final play with 12 seconds left, but Drexel was unable to get a shot past Love, who finished with 13 saves.

The Dragons will try to rebound on Tuesday afternoon in Philadelphia when they take on Bucknell at Vidas Field is set for 4 p.m.