Catawba vs. Queens
March 21, 2012
The Game Story:
SALISBURY, N.C. – After a goal from T.C. Whaley (Carlsbad, Calif., La Costa Canyon) tied things up at 12-12 with 2:06 to go, the Catawba College Indians were able to net a goal in the final minute to defeat Queens University of Charlotte 13-12 in nonconference men’s lacrosse action. The Royals fall to 4-3 on the year, while Catawba now sits at 8-1.

Whaley led the Royals this evening with three goals, while Jimmy Baker (Prince Fredrick, Md., Calverton) and Corey Geroy (Horseheads, N.Y., Horseheads) netted two apiece. Matthew Michael (Easton, Pa., Easton) led with two assists. Goalie Andrew Hyland (Newtown, Conn., Fairfield Prep) scooped up eight ground balls, and face-off specialist Kenneth Stryker (Millersville, Md., Severna Park) collected five. Hyland also took the loss in the cage after getting 13 stops.

Braden Artem led all on the field with four goals. Cory Losselyong, Steven Ridolfo and Freddie Turcio notched two goals apiece. Gage Mason led on the defensive end collecting five ground balls and three caused turnovers.

Kevin Hornik (Chapel Hill, N.C., Chapel Hill) and Derek Young (Murrysville, Pa., The Kiski School. Franklin Regional ) were able to put the Royals ahead, 2-0, in the first before the Indians found two goals of their own tying the game at 2-2.

In the second, the Indians held a 4-3 lead at 8:21 after Turcio found the back of the net for his first goal of the game. Queens’ Whaley and Hock would respond with back-to-back goals, and the Royals would head into the locker room with a 5-4 lead at the half.

Catawba came out hot in the third quarter reeling off five goals in a row to go ahead 9-5. Queens would come alive in the latter half of the quarter going on a 6-1 spurt. Baker and Geroy punched two during the run. The Royals held an 11-10 lead heading in to the fourth.

The Indians would score two in the second putting them ahead 12-11 before Whaley blasted a ball into the net tying things at 12-12. However, Artem would tally what would become the game-winner at 41 seconds giving the Royals their third loss of the season.