Nyit vs. Cw Post
March 29, 2008
The Game Story:
Old Westbury, N.Y. (March 29, 2008) - Sophomore Austin Carino’s (Huntington, N.Y.) man-up goal with 2:14 remaining in the foruth quarter broke an 8-8 tie and propelled the #2 NYIT Bears to an 10-8 win over #3 C. W. Post this afternoon in East Coast Conference men’s lacrosse action. The Bears remain undefeated on the season, improving to 7-0 overall and 2-0 in the ECC while the Pioneers fall to 7-2 overall and 1-1 in the conference.

NYIT junior Kevin Hennessy (West Babylon, N.Y.) opened the scoring in the first quarter with a man-up goal at the 12:39 mark. After the Pioneers Matt Dimler scored unassisted to tie the game at 1-1 just over a minute later, Hennessy scored again to regain the lead for the Bears. Sophomore Michael Procida (Wantagh, N.Y.) made it 3-0 with an unassisted score just 2:17 before the end of the first, but Post responded with four consecutive goals that spanned the first and second quarters to build a 5-3 lead. Greg Cerar started the scoring run by netting the last goal of the first quarter and the first goal of the second quarter to make the score 3-3 with 11:45 to play. The Pioneers outscored the Bears 4-2 in the second quarter, taking advantage of four NYIT penalties and scoring three consecutive man-up goals. Dave Loftus netted his first goal of the game at the 10:15 mark and Dimler added his second of the game with 8:46 left in the quarter to give Post the 5-3 lead. Carino scored inside off of a pass from junior Keith Henderson (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y.) :45 seconds later to bring the Bears two within 5-4, but Loftus scored again at 2:14 to push the lead back to 6-4. NYIT senior Paul Flowers (Manchester, England) sent the Bears into halftime with some momentum as he netted an unassisted goal with just :01 second on the clock.

The Bears carried that momentum into the second half and their defense held the Pioneers scoreless for the next 17 and a half minutes. NYIT scored twice in the third quarter, with Messina tying the game for with 7:45 toplay on a nice feed from sophomore Matt Sullivan (West Islip, N.Y.). Carnio and Henderson teamed up a second time, with Carino getting free on the inside and scoring to give the Bears the 7-6 lead. Loftus netted his third goal of the game, breaking the Pioneers scoring drought, and tying the score 7-7 at 12:28 of the fourth quarter. Henderson got free inside on an man-up opportunity and scored from a junior Matt Messina (Sayville, N.Y.) assist to give NYIT the 8-7 lead. Loftus responded once again for the pioneers, scoring his fourth of the game with just over four minutes remaining to tie the score at 8-8. That set up Carino’s game-winning man-up goal , assisted by Messina, and after the pioneers missed on their next possession, Hennessy broke a Pioneer double-team on a restart and found the back of an empty net to give the Bears some breathing room.

Hennessy and Carino each finished with three goals, and Messina and Henderson both added a goal and two assists in the win. Junior Dan Goosk (Oceasnide, N.Y.) made eight saves in the win, improving to 5-0 on the season and 2-0 in the ECC.

Loftus led the Pioneers with a game-high four goals and Cerar finished with two goals and two assists. Daniel Sciulla made 14 saves in the losing effeort.

The Pioneers Mike Cama dominated the face-offs, winning 16-20 on the afternoon. The Bears outshot C. W. Post 49-25 and limited the Pioneers to just P (18-36) on the clears. Both teams grabbed 39 ground balls.

The Bears return to action this Tuesday as they travel to Dominincan College for a 3:30 p.m. game.