Saint Vincent vs. Denison
April 29, 2009
The Game Story:
The Bearcats were overpowered in their 2009 season finale, falling 24-6 to Denison University at Chuck Noll Field.

The Big Red, the 13th-ranked team in NCAA Division-III, broke open a close game midway through the second quarter, and ended the game on a 12-1 run over the final 30 minutes.

Denison scored the game's first two goals, before the Bearcats answered back. With 7:08 left in the opening stanza, Ryan Kearney put the Bearcats on the board, assisted by Zach Wilfong, and then 90 seconds later, SVC took advantage of a Denison penatly, with Will DeLanoy tying the game at two, with the assist again credited to Wilfong.

The Big Red then scored the game's next two goals, going up 4-2, before Wilfong and DeLanoy hooked up again, pulling the Bearcats to within one with 2:27 remaining in the opening quarter.

Just 20 seconds later, Denison closed the quarter's scoring out, taking a 5-3 lead after 15 minutes, and the Big Red then scored twice in a two-minute span to open up play in the second, and take a 7-3 lead.

Kearney then stopped the Denison run with his second goal of the game, assisted by DeLanoy, with just under 10 minutes left in the second quarter, and after a quick Denison tally, Pat Bursch scored for the Bearcats, assisted by Jake Dick, to cut the Denison lead to 8-5 with eight minutes left in the half.

The Big Red then took control over the final portion of the first half, scoring four goals over the final six minutes to take a 12-5 advantage into the intermission.

In the opening stages of the second half, the Bearcats again took advantage of a Denison penalty, with Dick scoring just 50 minutes into play, assisted by DeLanoy, to cut the score in half, 12-6.

Denison then responded in a big way, scoring seven unanswered goals over the final 10 minutes of the third to go up 19-6 heading into the final stanza. The Big Red then put the game away with five fourth quarter goals.

DeLanoy led the Bearcats on the scoresheet, posting two goals and two assists, while Wilfong had three assists, Kearney two goals, and Dick a goal and an assist. Brendan Cannon led the way with three ground balls, while Jon McMahon stopped 16 shots in goal.

Denison was led by Emmet Jones' seven points, coming on six goals and one assist. Davis Lukens and Tanner Smith each scored three goals for the Big Red, who owned a 58-24 advantage in shots.

The Bearcats now wrap up the 2009 season with a 5-9 overall record, while Denison improves to 12-1.