Queens vs. Lees-mcrae
April 17, 2009
The Game Story:
CHARLOTTE, N.C.- Queens men’s lacrosse soundly defeated Lees-McRae 18-6 in the conference Carolinas semifinal game held at Memorial Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. The Royals, who are the No. 2 seed, will play Limestone, the No. 1 seed, on Sunday at 2pm in the championship game.

In their last outing against a ranked team, Queens upset then No. 7 Mars Hill. Entering the game on Sunday, Limestone is tied for No. 8.

The Royals (8-5) offense was led by Conference Carolinas Player of the Year Stephan LeBlanc who scored five goals. Behind him were Louie Boyle with three goals and one assist and Cory Thomas who contributed one goal and five assists.

On defense the Royal split the time in the net between three goalies. Rob Bacharach got the start and earns the win while making three saves and giving up three goals. Brandon Macknew came in for 21 minutes and made five saves while letting just one in. Tyler Rauch played the last 8:43 of the second half saving four and giving up two goals.

For the Bobcats (2-10) six different players scored their six goals. Kirk Rodgers and Derin Vacca each notched one goal and added one assist.

The Bobcats also split time between the pipes. Andy Nesdill started the game and played the entire first half. Nesdill made four saves and let in nine. Michael Fahey came in for the second stanza. He made two saves and also gave up nine.

The game started off closely, with Queens not opening up a three goal lead until LeBlanc notched his first of the game with a Thomas assist with just under five to play in the first quarter. Queens notched two more in the remaing time, including one from Boyle with just 14 ticks left in the first quarter to take a 6-2 lead.

In the second quarter, only four goals were scored, three four Queens and one for Lees-McRae. Queens entered halftime with a roomy six goal margin, 9-3.

The third quarter also featured just four goals. The Bobcat defense was able to hold the Royals strong offense off until the 7:23 mark when LeBlanc and Thomas combined for the second of three times in the game. Three minutes later the duo would strike again. LeBlanc posted the third Queens goal of the quarter, this time with Andy Capallo on the assist. Alex Warehime ended the 4-0 Royals run with 17 seconds left in the quarter putting the Royals up 13-3.

Rodger scored 17 seconds into the final period of play for the Bobcats. Queens answered with a 5-0 run over a six minute period leading 18-4.

The Bobcats kept the pressure up and put two past Rauch in the last 5:32 of the game. Neil Sleight and Rodgers notched the first and Matt Markey scored the last goal of the game unassisted.

Queens held the advantage in shots, 39-25, ground balls, 50-36, and face offs, 15-11. Lees-McRae’s Brandon led the game in ground ball pick-ups with seven. Queens’ Brad Comfort and Boyle each had six.