Queens vs. Limestone
March 31, 2010
The Game Story:
CHARLOTTE, N.C.— The Queens University of Charlotte men’s lacrosse team dropped one to the Saints of Limestone College, 15-10, this evening at the Queens Sports Complex. The loss breaks the eighth-ranked Royals’ seven-game winning streak and moves them to second place in the conference with a 3-1 record (7-2 overall). Fourth-ranked Limestone is the only remaining undefeated team in the conference with a 2-0 record (6-1 overall).

Brian Masterson (Toledo, Ohio, St. John's Jesuit) was the first to score in the game, finding the back of the net off of a feed from Alex Wesenberg (Bloominton, Minn., Jefferson) in a man-up opportunity with 11:37 in the first quarter of play. The goal was one of two scored by Masterson in the first quarter. After a slashing penalty was called on Matthew Dolan (Hopkinton, Mass., Hopkinton), Brian Partridge of the Saints put them on the board for the first time in the game. Another man-up goal soon followed for the Saints as Alex Warehime (Millersville, Md., Old Mill ) went out of the game for an illegal body check.

The Royals came alive in the second quarter going on a three-to-zero run sparked by an unassisted goal scored by B.J. Leighton (Apex, NC, Apex). Leighton scored two of the three goals in the run giving Queens a 5-4 lead with 6:29 left in the half. Limestone came back with two goals of their own within less than a minute of each other. Steve Sauser was put in the penalty box for slashing with 1:40 left in the half and Queens capitalized. Corey Geroy (Horseheads, N.Y., Horseheads) netted the last goal of the half tying it up at 6-6, and giving Ryan Stansley (Sylvania, Ohio, Sylvania Northview HS) his one assist of the game.

At the half, the Royals had taken 14 shots to Limestone's 15 . Both teams had won seven of 14 face-offs and scored on 2-4 extra-man opportunities.

The tight third quarter of play saw two ties before Limestone controlled the lead. Teddy Prager put the Saints back on top at 7-6 in the twelfth minute. Louie Boyle (Bel Air, Md., Bel Air) answered with an unassisted goal less than 40 seconds later. T.C. Whaley (Carlsbad, Calif., La Costa Canyon) tied the game up for the second time in the quarter after Randy Waugh scored for Limestone. The Saints closed the half with two more goals, another from Waugh, giving them a 10-8 lead going in to the final fourth quarter.

The Saints opened up the quarter with the momentum that they closed the previous with, going on a three-to-zero run. Mike Poerstel led the way for Limestone scoring two to complete his hat trick during the run. Boyle broke up the run with his second goal of the game when Jimmy Baker (Prince Fredrick, Md., Calverton) fed him the ball from behind the cage bringing the Royals to within four of the visitors. The Saints margin seemed to get farther away as the time ticked off the clock. Masterson scored the last goal of the game for the Royals making the score 14-10 with 5:50 on the clock. Prager ended the game with his fifth goal at 4:38 sealing the Saints victory.

Queens finished the game winning the battle at the face-off with 15-28. Limestone outshot the Royals 31-24. Limestone scooped up 30 ground balls to 26 from Queens.

Leading the way for the Royals was Masterson with three goals and one assist. Boyle and Leighton each chipped in two goals as well. Geroy tallied two assists with his one goal. Mike Delallo (Syracuse, N.Y., West Genesee) won eight-of-12 face-offs. Brandon Macknew (Abington, Md., Bel Air) defended the cage for the Royals recording six saves in the loss

The Saints were led by Prager’s five goals. Poerstel netted a hat trick, and Patridge tallied two. Patridge also recorded two assists in the win. Sean Bennett won 13-of-26 face-offs and collected nine ground balls. Goalkeeper Steve Gartelman recorded seven saves.

The Royals are back in action at Catawba on Saturday, April 3rd at 1:00 p.m.