Presbyterian vs. Dartmouth
March 17, 2008
The Game Story:
Clinton, S.C. First year NCAA division 1 program Presbyterian showed they could play with the big boys, jumping out to a 1-0 lead over Dartmouth (3-2), 32 seconds into the game Monday afternoon. Senior Chad Gaudet (Burlington, Mass.) won the ensuing faceoff, fed the ball ahead to Jonathan Livadas (Wilmington, Del.) who scored to make it 1-1, just 10 seconds later. The Blue Hose didn't let up. A holding penalty on Big Green freshman Garrett Nicholson (Annapolis, Md.) gave the Hose a man-up opportunity. A Dartmouth turnover and a quick PC timeout led to a goal by Ben Ewing, putting the Blue Hose up 2-1 at the end of the first quarter. The second and third quarters belonged to the laxmen from the North who outscored Presbyterian, 15-6 for the final score of 16-8.

The Big Green went on a 6-0 run to open the second quarter. Josh Gillam (Peterborough, Ont.) opened the scoring with a man-up tally assisted by Ari Sussman (New Haven, Conn.) just seconds into the period. Ryan Orr (Great Falls, Va.) scored on a PC turnover, helped by Christopher Root (Houston, Texas). Brian Koch (Rye, N.Y.) then scored the first of his game-high three goals, unassisted to put the Green up 4-2. Sophomore Towny Swiggett (Huntington, N.Y.) made it 5-2, Sussman added his second of the game and Mike Wiedman (Allison Park, Pa.) scored his first of the season to make it 7-3 at halftime.

Jimmy Mullen (Mt. Lebanon, Pa.) continued the attack, scoring less than a minute into the third quarter. Koch went on a rampage completing his hat trick with the gamewinning goal at 10:04, assisted by James Pyo (Port Washington, N.Y.), following that with a goal at 8:22 before assisting on a Sussman tally at 8:14. Sean Mulford stopped the bleeding for a moment with a goal for the Blue Hose, assisted by Jeremy Metcalfe, bringing the score to 11-4. Dartmouth wrapped up the quarter with goals by Phillip Killian (Washington, D.C.) and Ian Ferrell (Denver, Colo.).

In the fourth Joshua Etzion (Boca Raton, Fla.), and John Steele (Longmeadow, Mass.) scored their first collegiate goals sandwiched around Killion's second of the game. Junior Pat Marshall (Lutherville, Md.) got the win for the Big Green with five saves and giving up three goals. Sophomore Michael Novosel (Somers, N.Y.) had six saves, giving up five goals in 38 minutes. Dartmouth had a slight lead in faceoffs, winning 15 of 26.

The Big Green continues its northern trek, heading to Brown on Saturday, March 22 for the Ivy League opener for both teams. Game time is slated for 1:00 pm.