Univ Of D.c. vs. Nyit
March 29, 2014
The Game Story:
WASHINGTON, DC Freshman attack Chase Fraser registered three goals and an assist to lead the Firebirds offensively, but the University of the District of Columbia men's lacrosse team was defeated by the No. 10 ranked team in the nation, NYIT, by a final score of 22-7 on a rainy Saturday night at Georgetown Multi-Sport Field. With the loss, UDC fell to 2-5 overall and 1-3 in the East Coast Conference in the program's inaugural season. The Bears, one of five ECC teams ranked in Thursday's USILA Division II Poll, improved to 7-3 overall and 4-1 in league play. They have now won six of their last seven games. NYIT asserted itself quickly by jumping out to a 9-0 lead at the end of the first period. Cory Triola, the league's 3rd leading scorer coming into the night, scored three of his game-high five goals in that opening period and Will Kistinger netted both of his two. Face-off specialist Nick Pelella was key to the Bears dominating the first period as he won 8-of-10 face-offs, helping NYIT out-shoot UDC 17-1. The Bears scored twice more in the second period before Fraser (Elementary Education Aldergrove, BC/Blue Ridge School) put the Firebirds on the board just past the nine-minute mark with an unassisted, man-up goal. Sophomore defender Luke Gillespie (Business Management Maple Ridge, BC/Pfeiffer University) followed with his 7th goal of the season less than a minute later to make the score, 11-2. But NYIT's Tom Hughes scored consecutive goals at the 6:12 mark and the :56 mark for his second and third goals of the night to give the Bears a commanding, 13-2 halftime lead. The rain intensified as play resumed in the second half. Fraser scored the first goal after the break, an unassisted job just over three minutes into the third period to bring UDC within 10. Triola responded for the Bears though, scoring the first and last goal of a 4-0 run to put NYIT up, 17-3. Junior midfielder Michael King (Public Administration Kansas City, MO/St. John's University) scored his 4th goal of the season right at the four-minute mark of the third period during a Firebird man-up opportunity. Fraser was credited with the assist. He then added his third goal of the night (and team-leading 18th of the season) with 1:22 remaining in the period. NYIT extended its lead to 21-5 with four consecutive goals in the fourth period, including two by Shane Lenahan. Freshman midfielder Connor Lloyd (Architecture Clifton, VA/James W. Robinson HS) tallied the Firebirds' final two goals at the 4:11 mark and the :56 mark of the fourth quarter. He now has seven goals on the year. Eric Talbot scored NYIT's last goal of the night in between Lloyd's two goals at the 2:58 mark. Alex Seltzer made six saves and allowed five goals in 54:22 of work in goal for NYIT. He was relieved by Peter Izzo and Godwin Sotome, who each allowed a goal apiece. UDC junior goalkeeper Tom Yancheski (Sociology Phoenix, MD/Harford), who entered the game ranked No. 5 in the nation in saves per-game, stopped 10 of 27 shots on goal by NYIT. The Bears were a perfect 14-of-14 on clear attempts, they won 27-of-31 face-offs and out-shot UDC 55-19. UDC did, however, convert 3-of-7 man-up opportunities against the No. 2 ranked Man-down defense in the nation.