Babson vs. Union
March 6, 2010
The Game Story:
BABSON PARK, Mass. - The Babson College men's lacrosse team dropped a hard contested matchup to visiting Union College Saturday afternoon, 8-5, in a nonconference game at MacDowell Field. Seven different players scored for Union in the win and sophomore Ted McKenna finished with a game high four points tallying one goal and three assists for the Dutchmen. With the loss, Babson drops to 1-2 on the season while Union improves to 1-1 with their single loss of the season coming to #15 ranked SUNY Geneseo, 10-5.

Union got the scoring started just over five minutes into the first quarter when senior Andrew Higgins (Wrentham, Mass.) received a pass from first-year teammate Robert Young (Ithaca, N.Y.) to put the Dutchmen up 1-0. Babson answered four minutes later to tie it up, 1-1, with 5:40 left in the quarter when first-year Benjamin Jette (Old Lyme, Conn.) found sophomore Paul Grip (Shrewsbury, Mass.) to put the Beavers on the board. Union junior Brendan Kinnane (Little Compton, R.I.) scored a man-up unassisted goal with 2:03 remaining in the first quarter to give the Dutchmen the 2-1 advantage at the first break.

The Dutchmen came out strong in the second quarter scoring the next two goals putting them up 4-1 with 7:42 remaining in the half. Babson junior Thomas Cykana (Minnetonka, Minn.) then received a pass from sophomore Brian Magner (Norwell, Mass.) at the 6:25 mark to bring the Beavers to within two, 4-2. Union's Meyer scored another for the Dutchmen when McKenna set him up with 4:44 remaining in the half to put Union up 5-2. A Union timeout with 28 seconds remaining in the half proved to be effective when the duo of McKenna and Meyer struck again, this time with Meyer assisting McKenna for the goal with 20 seconds left in the half to give Union a solid 6-2 lead at the half.

In the third quarter, the Beavers were able to limit union to one goal which came three minutes in when Young scored off a McKenna assist. The next goal didn't come until 12 minutes later when Babson first-year James Schmidt (Shelburne, Vt.) scored off a pass from senior co-captain Max Artz (Gates Mills, Ohio) to make the score 7-3 entering the final period of play.

The Beavers outscored Union 2-1 in the final quarter with Babson receiving goals from sophomore Thomas Mallon (Manhasset, N.Y.) and first-year Alex Patinkin (Providence, R.I.) but were unable to get any closer as the Dutchmen took the 8-5 victory.

Babson received goals from Grip, Cykana, Schmidt, Mallon and Patinkin and Artz finished with two assists for the Beavers. Junior defensemen Chrisitan Ebert (Boxford, Mass.) finished with a game high nine groundballs.

Young finished with two goals and one assist for Union and McKenna tallied four points with one goal and three assists.

The Beavers outshot Union, 38-26 with 18 total shots on net to Union's 15. Sophomore Sean Aaron (Great Falls, Va.) proved to be the deciding factor for Union coming up with 13 saves on 18 shots on goal. Babson senior goalkeeper Mike Saucier (Nahsua, N.H.) finished with seven saves on the day.

Babson returns to action Wednesday, March 10th when they visit Eastern Connecticut State University for their first away game of the season at 4:00pm. Union will host Ithaca on March 10th also at 4:00pm.