Bates vs. Connecticut College
April 4, 2009
The Game Story:
LEWISTON, Maine -- Senior Tyler Moore (North Andover, Mass.) scored all of his game-high four goals in the fourth quarter as the Bates College men's lacrosse team rallied past Connecticut College 9-7 in a NESCAC contest on Saturday.

The Bobcats (3-7, 1-5 NESCAC) registered their first conference win, while the Camels (3-7, 0-6) remain in search of their first.

The teams were knotted at 4-4 at the start of the final period. Moore, Bates' leading scorer this season, broke out of a nearly four-game scoring drought by firing past Connecticut College goalie John Lenehan on an assist by senior Les Wade (Randolph, N.J.) with 11:54 to go, putting Bates in the lead for the first time all game at 5-4. It was Moore's first goal since he scored three against Wesleyan on March 21.

The Camels tied it a minute later on Rory O'Connor's second goal of the day, on Ryan Hayes' second of three assists on the day. But on the ensuing faceoff, Wade scooped the ground ball and flipped to Moore, who scored again to put Bates on top for good at 6-5 at the 10:40 mark. Moore tallied again one minute later on an assist by senior John Adams (Bloomfield, Conn.), and Bates junior Nick Sampson (Yarmouth, Maine) made it 8-5 two minutes later, at the 7:42 mark, on another Adams assist.

Hayes broke up the 3-0 Bates run with his first goal, assisted by Mark Mangano, with 6:49 to play. But Wade and Moore hooked up on a Bates goal for the third time of the quarter for an insurance goal with 4:28 left, making it 9-6. The Camels' Steve Dachille closed the gap to 9-7 on Hayes' third and final assist with 2:49 to play.

The scoring outburst in the fourth quarter was in contrast to a third quarter in which Bates outscored Connecticut College 1-0, evening the score at 4-4 on junior David Barrett's (Chatham, N.J.) second unassisted goal of the day after the Camels went into halftime with a 4-3 lead.

Bates first-year goalie Adam Scharff (Glyndon, Md.) made 10 saves for the Bobcats, while Connecticut College keeper Lenehan made nine saves before giving way to Rob Moccia for the last 1:28 of the game.

Moore led Bates with four goals, followed by Barrett and Sampson with two apiece. Wade tallied three assists and Adams added two more.

Hayes finished with one goal and three assists for the Camels, while O'Connor added two goals. Ben Eischen added one goal and one assist.

The Camels took an early lead of 2-0 on goals by Ben Eischen and Eric Doran, but Bates evened it at 2-2 before the first quarter was out on goals by Barrett and Sampson. Connecticut College again got ahead by two, at 4-2, as Jesse Stevenson followed O'Connor's first goal of the game with the game's only man-up tally with 5:48 left in the second quarter. Bates senior Nate Kellogg (Natick, Mass.) closed the gap to 4-3 with 3:27 left in the half on an unassisted tally.

Chuck Czerkawski won 11 of 20 faceoffs and led the Camels with eight ground balls. Will Schumann collected six more ground balls. Sophomore Cody Newman (Montclair, N.J.) won eight of 17 faceoffs for Bates and tied for the team lead in ground balls at four with Scharff and sophomore Pat Jackson (Durham, N.H.).

Bates will host Trinity College in another NESCAC matchup on Saturday, April 11 at 1 p.m.