Castleton State vs. Plymouth State
March 16, 2013
The Game Story:
King Sparks Castleton Comeback Win

FINAL 1 2 3 4 T
Plymouth St. (2-1) 2 2 0 2 6
Castleton (2-2) 2 0 3 2 7
G: Stephen Patch - 2 G: Nohea King - 3
A: Stephen Patch - 2 A: Zach Davidson - 2
Sv: Jesse Kutz - 10 Sv: Sam Polas - 7
GB: 3 Players (#30, #33, #37 - 4) GB: 2 Players (#12, #14 - 5)
Shots 27 38
Ground Balls 32 34
Saves 10 9
Clears 15-18 17-21
Turnovers 20 21
Face Offs Won 7 10
Man Up 1-3 3-8
full stats
Castleton, Vt. - The Spartans men's lacrosse team earned a comeback victory when senior Nohea King notched his third goal of the game, breaking a 6-6 tie in the final minutes, and propelling the Spartans to a 7-6 victory over Plymouth St. on Saturday at Spartan Stadium.

King scored three goals on the day, while Alex Green notched two scores for the Spartans. Zach Davidson scored once and had two assists. For the Panthers, Stephen Patch led the way, scoring twice and dishing out two assists.

The Panthers jumped out to an early lead when Shawn McEvoy found the back of the net to put Plymouth St. up 1-0 with just 3:43 elapsed in the first period. The Panthers followed up with a goal five minutes later when Brett Miller converted on a pass from Patch.

The Spartans got on the board with 5:01 remaining in the first. Luke Titus drove to the net and beat Jesse Kutz to put Castleton on the board. The home squad followed with another score, this time from Zach Davidson. After the first quarter, the score was even at 2-2.

In the second frame, Plymouth St. notched two scores to take a 4-2 lead into halftime. Patch notched his first of the game, and Chris Annunciata scored for the Panthers to give the visitors a two-goal advantage going into the break.

The tables turned in the second half when the Spartans rattled off four unanswered goals. King stepped up for the Spartans, burying consecutive goals in the third quarter. The senior midfielder netted scores with 1:36 elapsed in the frame and then again 50 seconds later to tie the game at 4-4.

Alex Green followed suit, scoring two consecutive goals. Green found the net with 2:08 left in the third to put the Spartans up 5-4, and then struck again two minutes into the fourth quarter with a laser that gave the Spartans a two-goal advantage.

Plymouth St. would not go away quietly, however, scoring two fourth quarter goals to tie the game. Patch scored off an assist from Aaron Boss to cut the Spartan lead to one goal. With 5:06 remaining in the game, Nick Morello tallied a goal to draw the score to even at 6-6.

With time winding down, the Spartans turned to two of their senior leaders. Sam Bailey possessed the ball behind the net, and found King streaking to the net for the tiebreaking score, putting Castleton up 7-6 with 2:57 remaining.

The Panthers pushed for a late goal in the waning moments, but could not convert as the Spartans prevailed with a one-goal victory.

Sam Polas made seven saves in the first half and Peter Latulippe made two saves and earned the win for the Spartans who improve to 2-2 on the year. Jesse Kutz stopped 10 shots but took his first loss of the year.

Castleton will return to action next Saturday, Mar. 23 when they travel to Johnson St. in their North Atlantic Conference opener.