Castleton State vs. Saint Joseph's (me)
April 25, 2009
The Game Story:
#1 Castleton advances to NAC Semifinal with win over #8 St. Joseph’s (Me.)

Castleton, VT - Jeremy Peyton led 11 different scorers with three goals and two assists as Castleton defeated St. Joseph’s 22-8 in North Atlantic Conference men’s lacrosse quarterfinal action Saturday afternoon.

Korey Counos, Michael Martinez and Kirk Bolduc each had three goals as the top-seed Spartans advanced to the semifinal round of the eight-team tournament. Castleton will host fourth-seeded Johnson State College Wednesday at a time to be determined. The Badgers advanced with a 20-10 win over fifth-seed Emerson.

St. Joseph’s broke a scoreless tie 4:45 into the first period as Jonathan Horgan broke free for an unassisted goal on a Monk extra man opportunity. Castleton answered by scoring the next five goals and never trailed again. Ryan Bartlett started the run with 7:35 remaining in the opening period, and Peyton capped it just 13 seconds into the second period off a John Petrovitsis assist.

Both teams traded goals over the 10 minutes of play, but after Ryan Prescott brought the Monks to within three at 7-4, Castleton went on a 8-0 run that spanned the entire third period to effectively put the game away. Peyton and Bolduc each scored a pair of goals during the stretch, as did face-off specialist Craig MacDerment. MacDerment owned the face-off, winning 13-of-15 on the afternoon and grabbing nine ground balls.

The Castleton transition was excellent all game, making good on 26-of-31 clear attempts, while holding the Monks to just 12-for-29 resulting in a 59-27 advantage for Castleton in ground balls.

Horgan led the Monks with four goals and one assist, while Paul Dolewa added a pair of goals. Don Gearan made 14 saves in 45 minutes and Nick Hannon stopped two shots in the final period as St. Joseph’s season closes out at 4-13.

Phil Barry, MacDerment, Bartlett, and Michael DelDotto each had two goals as Castleton improves to 10-5 on the season. Michael Mamunes stopped 14 shots in 42 minutes of action before yielding to David DeGhetto who stopped two over the final 18 minutes.