Clark vs. Lasell
April 26, 2008
The Game Story:
WORCESTER, MASS. 4/26/08 - Senior Andrew Webber's (Allendale, N.J.) goal with 41 seconds remaining in the first overtime lifted Clark University to a 6-5 Pilgrim League victory over Lasell College in mens lacrosse action on Senior Day at Granger Field Saturday afternoon. It marked the first time Clark beat Lasell in seven tries.

Following a timeout, Webber, who was left alone on the left side of the goal, fired a pass from Shawn Roche (Centerport, N.Y.) into the net for the game-winner.

"It was a perfectly designed play," said the senior attackman, who moved into second all-time in goals (99). "Shawn hit me with a perfect pass in the crease and it went in. It was a total team effort."

Clark's (4-11, 2-5 Pilgrim) victory halted a six-game losing skid, while Lasell dropped its second straight game to fall to 9-5 overall and 4-3 in league play. The Lasers earn the fourth-seed in the upcoming Pilgrim League tournament and will face top-seed Springfield College in Springfield, Mass., next Wednesday, April 30.

Sophomore Chris Adams (Bradford, N.H.) broke a scoreless game with a goal at the 9:41 mark of the third period. Junior Matt Fram (Metheun, Mass.) was credited with his team-leading ninth assist on the play.

Lasell pulled away with four unanswered goals by four different players to take a 4-1 lead with 9:58 remaining in the game.

However, the Cougars made the most of their opportunities, scoring the next three goals, to knot the score at 4-all. Rookie Sam McAdam (Portland, Me.) and senior Dan Stern (Westport, Conn.) notched a pair of goals just 14 seconds apart and Adams found the back of the net again for the equalizer at the 6:50 mark.

Junior Mike Maggio (Winchester, Mass.) converted on a pass from Derek Allan (Billerica, Mass.) for a man-up goal with just over five minutes remaining to retake the lead (5-4), but Roche would not be denied as he tied it up again (5-5) just 2:04 later.

Lasell had a chance to win it in overtime, but point blank stops by Clark keeper Tyler Campbell (Portland, Ore.) kept the game at a stalemate.

Webber didn't miss his opportunity in the closing seconds of the game. It was his 27th goal of the season.

"The team won this game today," said head coach Evan Davis. "This will set the tone for next year and what we're going to achieve in 2009."

Campbell finished with 12 saves for Clark. Senior Mark DeMieri (Seaford, N.Y.) stopped 15 shots for Lasell.

Prior to today's game, seniors Andrew Webber, Dan Rosenak, Andrew Sheen, Jon Ponte, Dan Stern, Nate Sherman and Mike Fuchs were honored for playing in their final regular season home game.