Clarkson vs. Union
April 23, 2005
The Game Story:
Potsdam, NY - Sophomore Mike McKenna (Camden, DE) scored four goals, assisted on another, and won nine of his 10 faceoffs as the Clarkson University Men's Lacrosse team defeated Union College 11-8 in a Liberty League conference game Saturday afternoon at Hantz Field.

With the victory, Clarkson improved to 7-5 overall and 4-1 in conference play, clinching one of the four playoff spots in the Liberty League Tournament in the first weekend of May. If Clarkson beats Skidmore next weekend, the Golden Knights are guaranteed to host at least the first game of the conference tournament. Union fell to 5-8 overall and 1-3 in the Liberty League.

Union started the game with a goal just nine seconds into the game when Dan Myerow scored by picking up a ground ball off the opening faceoff, but the Dutchmen struggled to produce offensively for the remainder of the half. The Golden Knights scored eight of the next nine goals in the first half and went into the locker room with an 8-3 advantage. Union did score four of the last five goals of the game, but Clarkson's opening advantage was too much to overcome.

Between McKenna, sophomore Corey O'Connor (Webster, NY) and Bryan Johnson (Newark, NY), the Golden Knights won 20 of the 23 faceoffs in the game to control the pace of play. Clarkson also owned a 40-25 shot advantage and a 40-26 edge in ground balls.

Johnson scored three goals and assisted on another, Brian Hanlon (Marcellus, NY) scored three goals and Jon Parks (Canton, NY) added a goal and three assists for Clarkson. Also assisting on goals were Rich Burritt (Oswego, NY), who had two assists, Steve Kennedy (Niskayuna, NY) and Matt Normandin (Clifton Park, NY).

Pete Gross scored four goals to lead the Dutchmen. Myerow added a goal and two assists, Andy West scored a goal and Mike Sparico and Will Dewey each scored goals for Union. Jon Miller also contributed an assist for Union.

Joe Zebrowski (Liverpool, NY) made four saves to earn his 32nd career victory for Clarkson. Union's Will Tamm was busier in net for the Dutchmen, stopping 15 shots.