Clarkson vs. Saint John Fisher
March 12, 2011
The Game Story:
The St. John Fisher College men's lacrosse team ended the game with a late 3-0 run to steal a 9-6 win over the hosting Clarkson Golden Knights on Saturday afternoon.

With the win, the Cardinals improve to 3-0 on the 2011 season.

Clarkson scored the lone goal of the first quarter to take the lead early.

The second quarter was quiet, until Clarkson increased its lead to 2-0 with 2:48 left in the half, but Fisher's Mitch Ritchie scored the first of his three goals, off an assist from Taylor Michael, to put Fisher on the board.

Fisher took the one-goal deficit at 2-1 in the locker room at the half. Clarkson kicked the second half off with two quick goals within the first three minutes of the third quarter. Ritchie responded, causing a turnover and scoring himself on the ensuing possession. Only 12 seconds later, the junior tallied his third goal of the game to cut Fisher's deficit to 4-3 at the end of the third quarter.

Connor Henderson and Jeff Wester kicked off the fourth quarter with one goal each, as Fisher earned its first lead of the game at 5-4. Clarkson answered to tie it at 5s, but Fisher's Eric Klein regained the lead off a pass from Henderson.

Clarkson tied it again at 6s, but Fisher took off on a three-goal tear, kicked off with Ryan Schmidt capitalizing on a man-up opportunity with 4:44 to go.

Fisher's Erich Rassow went 13-5 from the X for the Cardinals.

Ritchie ended the game with a team-best four points (3g, 1a). Schmidt added three points on one goal and two assists.

Junior Kyle Denhoff added the next two goals to steal the 9-6 win.

The Cardinals outshot the Golden Knights 49-29, forcing the Golden Knights' Ryan Cole to collect 16 saves. Goalie Matt McShea picked up the win in net for Fisher, stopping eight shots between the pipes.

The Cardinals return to action on Tuesday as they host the College at Brockport in a non-conference match up at Growney Stadium. The game is slated for a 4 p.m. start.