Colby vs. Trinity (ct)
March 21, 2009
The Game Story:
WATERVILLE, Maine --- The Colby College menís lacrosse team overcame a 7-5 deficit heading into the fourth quarter with six straight goals in the final 15 minutes to pull out an 11-8 victory over Trinity College in New England Small College Athletic Conference play Saturday at Bill Alfond Field.

Colby is 4-1 overall and 2-1 in the NESCAC heading into its spring break. The Mules will play three road games in a span of five days, starting with a 6 p.m. game at Stevens Tech on Tuesday. Trinity, which will play host to Manhattanville on Wednesday at 4 p.m., falls to 4-2 overall and 1-2 in the league.

Whit McCarthy (Darien, Conn.) continues to fill the net after scoring five goals and dishing an assist for the Mules. He leads Colby with 17 goals and six assists for 23 points. McCarthy has nine goals and two assists in his past two games.

Caddy Brooks (Darien, Conn.) added one goal and two assists for Colby, which is 4-0 at home this season. Todd Boertzel (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) added one goal and one assist for the Mules.

Harper Cullen (Rehoboth Beach, Del.) helped Trinity build its lead after three quarters with four goals in the game. Robert Mountain (New Canaan, Conn.) added two goals and one assist, while Andrew Williamson (Sudbury, Mass.) had one goal and one assist.

Colby led 2-0 just 3:04 into the contest after McCarthy scored with 12:02 remaining. Craig Bunker (Topsfield, Mass.) won the ensuing face-off, picked up the groundball, and scored just six seconds later to give the Mules a 2-0 margin.

Trinity controlled the tempo of the game the rest of the half. Cullen scored two straight goals to tie the game at 2-2 with 8:24 to play. The Mules went ahead again when McCarthy scored with 7:27 to play, but the Bantams tied it at 3-3 after one quarter on a goal by Andrew Williamson (Sudbury, Mass.) with 2:14 to go.

The two teams combined for just five shots in the second quarter as the Bantams worked the ball around for minutes at a time. The strategy proved effective at the time as Cullen got the only goal of the quarter with 10:33 to play for a 4-3 Trinity lead at intermission.

After Boertzel tied the game at 4-4 about four minutes into the third quarter, Trinity scored three of the next four goals to take the 7-5 margin into the fourth period. Cullen, Thomas Rogers (Simsbury, Conn.), and Mountain had goals for the Bantams. Meanwhile, McCarthy got his third goal of the game with 1:56 to play. Mountain tallied with just 6.2 seconds left for what seemed like a momentum changing goal.

The Mules caught fire with three goals in less than three minutes of the fourth quarter. Jamie Wallace (Marblehead, Mass.) scored with 12:53 to go and McCarthy added his fourth goal just over a minute later to tie the game at 7-7. Brooks got the game-winning goal off a pass from Boertzel with 10:15 to play.

Mark Squicciarino (Titusville, N.J.), McCarthy, and Scott Margolis tallied over a span of 2:04 to put the Mules up 11-7. Margolis got the final score for Colby and his first collegiate goal with 3:36 to play.

Mountain closed out the scoring for Trinity with 56 seconds to play.

The game featured a terrific match-up between Bunker and Trinityís Connor Wells (Haddam, Conn.) on face-offs. Both finished with 11 and many were hard-fought battles. Bunker finished with six groundballs, while Wells had five.

James Brady (East Walpole, Mass.) added five groundballs for the Mules and teammate Jason Forino (Sudbury, Mass.) had four. Colin Murphy (Wellesley, Mass.) and Bennett Standiford (Great Falls, Va.) each had four groundballs for the Bantams.