Connecticut College vs. Williams
April 1, 2009
The Game Story:
NEW LONDON, Conn.--David Hawley (New Canaan, Conn.) scored two of his three goals 58 seconds apart from each other at a critical juncture in the second half to lead Williams College (2-5, 2-3) to an 11-7 victory against Connecticut College (3-6, 0-5) on Freeman Field Wednesday. Sam Hargrove (Wallingford, Pa.) chipped in with three goals and one assist for the Ephs, who built a 7-2 lead at the half.

Connecticut College senior Ben Eischen (Brookfield, N.H.) had a natural hat-trick with three quick strikes scored in a span of 2:52 in the third quarter. Ryan Hayes (Darien, Conn.) added a goal and an assist in the setback for the hosts. Rookie net-minder John Lenehan (Hingham, Mass.) made 11 saves and contributed two ground balls in 39 minutes of relief duty between the pipes.

The Ephs took their first lead of the game with 4:20 remaining in the opening period. Matt Cranshaw (Atlanta, Ga.) scored on a feed from Mike Ryan (Darien, Conn.) and it was a 2-1 game. But with 2:44 remaining in the first, the Camels knotted the game up at two. Mark Mangano (Basking Ridge, N.J.) sprinted past his defender and rifled home a runner that landed just inside the right post for the equalizer.

The Ephs accounted for all of the offense in a one-sided second quarter, reeling off a 5-0 run to open up a 7-2 lead. Cranshaw and Hawley scored to make it 4-2. Ryan Powell (Fairfax, Va.) collected a ground ball off of the ensuing face-off and sprinted straight to the cage to put in the fifth score. The visitors added two more and carried a 7-2 lead into the break.

Eischen ignited the Camels in the third quarter with an impressive display at the offensive end of the field. With 12:05 remaining, Eischen took a feed from Ryan Hayes. With his body facing his own goal, Eischen buried a no-look shot to cut the lead to four. Just 48 seconds later, Eischen weaved his way through a pair of defenders and stuffed one home and the Camels were within three. Later on with 9:17 remaining, Eischen completed his trifecta, cruising from one end of the field to the other in an unsettled situation to cut the deficit to 7-5.

George David (Wynnewood, Pa.) scored a man-up goal with 8:40 left and suddenly the Camels were within one in a 7-6 game. But Williams was able to avoid a potentially disastrous situation by escaping unscathed with two men serving one-minute slashing penalties simultaneously. Then, with 6.8 seconds left, Hawley scored a goal in transition and the Ephs carried an 8-6 lead into the fourth quarter.

Hawley extended the visitors advantage to 9-6 with an extra man goal scored 52 seconds into the fourth quarter on a feed from Kevin Connolly (Simsbury, Conn.). Sean Driscoll (Peabody, Mass.) got one back for the hosts but the Camels could not get any closer and the Ephs were able to close out the 11-7 win.

Michael Gerbush (Glen Head, N.Y.) made nine saves in the victory for the Ephs.