Cortland State vs. Oneonta State
April 30, 2008
The Game Story:
CORTLAND, N.Y. – Junior Joey Morgan (Putnam Valley) scored a career-high four goals, including three straight to break open a close game in the second quarter, to lead the nationally second-ranked Cortland men’s lacrosse team to an 18-6 win versus Oneonta in a SUNYAC Tournament semifinal game. The Red Dragons improved to 14-1 with their 10th straight win and advanced to the conference finals to face Geneseo at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday at the SUNY Cortland Stadium Complex. Oneonta fell to 7-8 with the loss.

Morgan also added two assists for a career-best six points, and senior Ryan Heath (Baldwinsville/C.W. Baker) also contributed six points on three goals and three assists. Senior Billy Fuchs (Merrick/Sanford H. Calhoun) recorded three goals and an assist, senior Adam Hyde (West Seneca/West Seneca East) added two goals and an assist and senior Chris Hannon (Baldwin) and freshman Chris DeLuca (Sayville) each scored two goals. Senior Josh Cittadino (Baldwin) won 11-of-18 faceoffs and finished with a game-high 10 ground balls. Junior goalie Mike Robinson (Alexandria, VA/Thomas Edison) made three saves over the first 50 minutes, 50 seconds before giving way to junior Matt Hipenbecker (Mountain Lakes, NJ), who did not register a save over the final 9:10.

Freshman Andy Hilton (Rochester/Gates-Chili) led Oneonta with a pair of scores, while juniors Kevin McSloy (Kings Park), Mike Flood (West Babylon) and Dennis Headrick (Kings Park) and freshman Dave Gilmore (Fayetteville/Fayetteville-Manlius) each scored once. Senior Tyler Dunne (Cazenovia) chipped in with two assists and collected eight ground balls, and senior defenseman Kevin Gregory (Baldwin) registered eight ground balls. Senior goalie Kyle Reich (New Hyde Park/Great Neck South) made seven saves in 58:40, sitting out 1:20 after taking a penalty in the first quarter. Junior Nick Murray (West Babylon) stopped the only shot he faced in that 80-second span.

Cortland opened up a 4-0 lead 10 minutes into the game with Hyde scoring twice and Hannon and Fuchs each netting a goal. Oneonta then closed the first quarter by outscoring the host Red Dragons, 3-1, to pull to within 5-3. McSloy and Flood scored goals in the final 30 seconds of the quarter to swing the momentum to Oneonta.

Fuchs scored just 49 seconds into the second quarter, but Headrick answered less than two minutes later to make it a 6-4 lead. Oneonta won the ensuing faceoff and had possession with a chance to cut the lead to one, but couldn’t find the back of the net. Morgan then reeled off three consecutive goals and Cortland closed the half with four more scores to pull away and lead 13-4 at intermission. The host Red Dragons outscored Oneonta, 3-1, in the third quarter and, 2-1, in the fourth quarter for the final margin of 18-6.

Cortland outshot Oneonta, 48-21, held a 45-33 advantage in ground balls and won 15-of-27 faceoffs. Oneonta was successful on just 1-of-7 man-up attempts, while Cortland converted 2-of-3.