Denison vs. Ohio Wesleyan
May 10, 2006
The Game Story:

It's just another one-goal, cardiac arrest, bust out the paddles and shock the heart, nail biter that has come to define the storied tradition surrounding Denison and Ohio Wesleyan on the lacrosse field.

Senior Ted Douglass (Englewood, Colo./Kent Denver) scored Denison's second overtime, game-winning goal of the 2006 season off a picture-perfect feed from PJ Hendrick (Newton, Mass./Rivers School) 57 seconds into the first overtime leading Denison to a 10-9 sudden death victory over the Battling Bishops in the first round of the 2006 NCAA Division III men's lacrosse championship.

This marks the sixth consecutive meeting between Denison and Ohio Wesleyan that has been decided by one goal. Today's game closely resembled the Big Red's 9-8 overtime victory back on March 25 of this season that ended via a Hendrick goal early in that first overtime period. Since 1997, Denison and OWU have played four overtime games and the Big Red has prevailed in three of those contests.

The Bishops took a 4-1 lead to open the game and held the Big Red scoreless through the first quarter of play. DU's first goal was netted by Douglass in a man-up situation with 8:48 left in the second quarter. OWU's Chris Eccles had Denison's number in the first half. The sophomore displayed some nifty footwork and got free for three first half goals, sending the Bishops into the intermission with a 5-4 lead.

Denison closed out the first half by gaining a little momentum after back-to-back face-off transition goals by Chris Boehl (Wilmington, Del./Tatnall) and Hendrick but OWU got on the board quickly in the second half when Eccles scored his fourth goal of the contest off a pass from Chad Pouliot to give OWU a 6-4 lead.

After the OWU score at the 14:13 mark, Denison rattled off four unanswered goals to jump in front 8-6. Dan Maude (Wayne, Pa./The Haverford School) got things going when he scored his first goal of the day at the 12:34 mark. Hendrick responded four minutes later with Denison's third man-up goal of the day and at the 5:15 mark Denison took their first lead of the game at 7-6 when Clay Wawner (Charlottesville, Va./Monticello) fired a shot past OWU goalie Ryan Perone for his only goal of the day. The final goal of Denison's run came after a Lou Sorgi (Norwell, Mass./Thayer Academy) clear who relayed the ball to Wawner then quickly found Douglass for the eighth Denison goal of the game.

In the fourth quarter OWU came out charging and Phillip Johnson netted back-to-back goals to knot the score back to 8-8. Denison's Teddy Epstein (Glen Ridge, N.J./Glen Ridge) hoped he had hit the eventual game-winner with his one-on-one fake to the right with 9:30 left to play but the Bishops won the face-off and freshman Dylan Brown streaked down the field and tied the game at 9-9 just 12 seconds after the Denison go-ahead goal.

After both teams milked the clock looking for the best opportunity to strike late in regulation, time expired and OWU won the ensuing faceoff but turned the ball over behind the Denison cage before they could get a shot off. Denison promptly cleared the ball and went right to work, scoring on their first and only possession of the overtime period.

Denison outshot the Bishops 31-27 and sophomore goalie Alex Baruch (Richmond, Va./St. Christopher's) finished with a game-high nine saves. Perone stopped eight shots on the night for Ohio Wesleyan. The Bishops took 13-of-23 face off's, all won by Pouliot while Denison's Nick Jacobs (Wilmington, Del./Tower Hill) was 8-of-18. Junior middie Brian Cleary (Milton, Mass./Boston College H.S.) paced Denison with four ground balls.

The victory sends the Big Red to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the third time in school history and the first time since 2001. Both previous times the DU men have advanced past the first round they have gone on to Final Four (1999, 2001).

Denison will move on to the second round where they will meet up with Salisbury University on Saturday, May 13 at 1 p.m. in Salisbury, Md. The last time Denison and Salisbury met was in the 2001 NCAA Quarterfinals when the Big Red topped the Sea Gulls, 11-6 to advance to their second NCAA Final Four.