Denison vs. Widener
May 9, 2007
The Game Story:
GRANVILLE- Widener University outscored the Big Red 5-2 over the final 30 minutes of play and held DU scoreless in the pivotal third quarter, en route to an 8-5 victory on Wednesday afternoon at Piper Stadium.

Widener advances to the second round of the NCAA Tournament where they will face top-ranked Salisbury at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday (May 12) at Sea Gull Stadium.

Denison got off to s strong start on the defensive end, holding The Pride scoreless for the opening 20 minutes of play while taking a 2-0 lead behind goals by Rick Mackessy (Hudson, Ohio/Hudson) and Chris Chandler (Kent, Ohio/Roosevelt).

Widener's Luke Weber scored their first goal of the game with 10:08 led in the second quarter but Denison sophomore Dan Maude (Wayne, Pa./Haverford School) would answer one minute later with his 20th goal of the season, giving the Big Red a 3-1 advantage.

Off the ensuing face-off, Widener's Clint Quedenfeld took a pass from Weber and sent it past Denison goalie Alex Baruch (Richmond, Va./St. Christopher's) to cut the lead to 3-2 with 8:35 to play.

With 8:18 left in the half Denison's Taylor Nissi (Groton, Mass./Holderness) was flagged for a slash and Widener's Cory Malampy would capitalize with the game's first man-up goal with 7:47 left in the period.

That would do it for the scoring in the period as the two teams entered the half knotted at 3-3.

In the third quarter it appeared as if DU took back the lead with 12:15 left to play but Denison's goal was waved off after the player's stick was found to be not to NCAA specification. Denison was charged with a three minute penalty and Widener followed with their second extra-man goal of the game with 11:41 left.

They would go on to add two more goals in the quarter and take a 6-3 lead into the fourth period. With 10:48 left in the game Ted Gulyas (Medina, Ohio/Medina) tried to jump start the Big Red with their first goal since 8:55 in the second quarter but Widener's Quedenfeld struck again just over a minute later with his 18th goal of the season. Over the next eight minutes The Pride limited Denison's attack and stalled at the offensive end. They capped off their day with a Brian Stromko goal with 1:26 left on the clock.

Denison's Topher Nazaruk (Stratford, Conn./Fairfield Prep) would tack on a goal with 26 seconds remaining to set the final at 8-5.

Denison outshot Widener 26-25 but Pride netminder Andrew Johnson turned in a stellar, 10 save performance between the pipes. DU had 30 ground balls to Widener's 22 but Widener took 9-of-16 face-off's.

The Pride was 2-for-3 in extra-man situations and Denison was 0-3. Baruch posted six saves for Denison and Mackessy led the team with four ground balls.

The Big Red's season comes to a close with an 11-4 record. This was their 15th NCAA Tournament appearance and their third consecutive berth to the championships. Widener is in the tournament for the sixth time in school history and matched their school record for victories (13) which was set last season.