Dickinson vs. Franklin And Marshall
April 30, 2014
The Game Story:
Diplomats Rally Past Devils in CC Semifinal (Carlisle, Pa.) The Dickinson men's lacrosse team suffered a, 9-11 setback on Wednesday, falling to Franklin & Marshall, in the semifinals of the Centennial Conference Men's Lacrosse Championship. The Diplomats avenged an 8-7 loss to the Red Devils, just four days ago, as Dickinson captured the regular season finale in Lancaster to earn the #2-seed in the tournament. The Diplomats struck first before the Red Devils scored four straight to take a 4-1 lead at the end of the first quarter. Will Ballantyne finished an assist from Phillip Gamble to put F&M on the board at the 12:43 mark. Senior Will Scott (Emmaus, Pa./Emmaus) answered off an assist from classmate Brian Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./Loyola Blakefield), less than a minute later. Senior Brian Gleason (Darien, Conn./Darien) found the net, scoring off a nice feed from sophomore Chris Menard (South Hadley, Mass./South Hadley), to put the Devils up, with 9:13 remaining in the first period. Cannon sliced a shot into the net, with virtually no angle, scoring off a pass from Greg Shildkrout (Dresher, Pa./Germantown Academy) at the 5:29 mark. The Devils tallied another in the final minute as Tyler Llewellyn (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) finished a feed from Tyler White (Philadelphia, Pa./Penn Charter), for a 4-1 advantage. Michael Bossidy dished out an assist to Chad Gamble, and scored on his own, to cut the deficit to 4-3, in the opening two and a half minutes of the second quarter. Junior Brett Parker (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul's School) sandwiched a pair of goals around another strike from Ballantyne, to give Dickinson a 6-4 lead, with just 1:53 to play in the half. Billy Kempner made it a one-goal game at halftime, scoring with just 19 seconds on the clock. The Diplomats capitalized in the third, trading goals with the Devils, and pulling even, 8-8. Ballantyne netted a hat-trick in the quarter, trading goals with Cannon and Llewellyn. Parker gave the Devils a 9-8 lead, early in the fourth quarter, scoring third goal of the day at the 11:49 mark. The Diplomats kept the Devils off the board from that point, overcoming the deficit in the final seven minutes. Phillip Gamble tied the game with 6:57 remaining in regulation. Less than a minute later, Michael Bossidy gave the Diplomats just their second lead of the afternoon, scoring off an assist from Evan Bakst. Bossidy struck again with a dagger at the 1:24 mark. That would prove to be enough as the Diplomats held on, advancing the Saturday's championship game at Washington College. The Red Devils suffered a huge blow in the early minutes as senior face-off man, Carter Moore (Virginia Beach, Va./Norfolk Academy) left the game with an injury, after winning two of the first three face-offs. First-year Tyler Golian (Centreville, Va./Gonzaga) came on and did a solid job, winning 7-of-11 while Greg Castro (New Fairfield, Conn./New Fairfield) added a pair of wins as well. Senior Draper Donley (Lutherville, Md./St. Paul's School) controlled four ground balls to anchor the defense. Sophomore goaltender Nick Baxter (Boxford, Mass./Governor's) came up with 10 saves in goal for the Devils. Ballantyne tallied a game-high five goals, adding one assist. Cameron Setian made nine saves in the nets for F&M (13-4). Mike Sanzone claimed 10-of-21 face-offs and controlled six GBs. The Red Devils finish the season, 9-7 overall. Cannon becomes the program's all-time point leader with 226 career points, netting 134 goals and 92 assists. Moore moved into second all-time with 525 career face-offs wins, ranking third in GBs with 340. On Saturday, he erased his own school record, winning his 206th face-off of the season.