Dickinson vs. Roanoke
March 12, 2011
The Game Story:
CARLISLE, Pa. --- Roanoke scored three goals in the waning minutes, but couldn’t score the equalizer as Dickinson held on to win, 14-13 in men’s lacrosse action Saturday afternoon. The Maroons dropped their first game of the year and slip to 3-1, while the Red Devils remains undefeated at 5-0.

In a match-up between two top-15 teams in the country, Roanoke out-shot Dickinson, 56-41, including a 34-31 edge in shots on goal. The Red Devils, ranked 13th in the country, won the groundball war, 53-36. The Maroons, ranked fifth in the latest USILA poll, won 17-of-30 face-offs.

Matt Cherry got the scoring underway 50-seconds into the game with an unassisted goal to give Dickinson the early advantage. Richard Lachlan scored the first two Roanoke goals for the third time this season as the Maroons reeled off four unanswered goals to make it, 4-1 midway through the first quarter.

Dickinson responded with four-straight goals of their own to regain the lead, 5-4 into the second quarter. Jeff Keating tied the game heading into halftime with an assist from Drew Manley.

After the Red Devils scored to open the second half, Keating scored his second goal of the contest to tie the contest once again, 6-6. His goal was followed by a Reid Mayberry tally from Justin Tuma to give the Maroons their final lead of the game, 7-6 midway through the third period.

Over the ensuing 15-minutes of action, Dickinson went on an 8-3 run to take the largest lead of the game, 14-10 with 10-minutes remaining. Parker Waldron and Bobby Kingsley scored two goals each over that span.

Tuma led Roanoke with two goals, two assists, seven groundballs and won 15-of-26 face-offs. Trey Keeley had two goals and two assists, while Mayberry and Noah Gibby totaled two goals and an assists each.

Drew Manley collected a team-best eight groundballs on the afternoon, followed by Alex Burkhead with four. Mike Hardon finished with 11 first-half saves for RC. Charles Pease totaled five in the second stanza as he took the loss for the Maroons.

Brian Cannon led Dickinson with three goals and two assists, followed by Christian Beitel netted three of his own on the day. Ward Gruppo dished out two assists for the Red Devils. Greg Hanley had 21 saves in goal to earn the win.

The men return to action on Wednesday, March 16 as they host #2 Stevenson in non-conference action. The Mustangs ended the Maroons season in a 15-14 overtime decision in the NCAA Quarterfinals last May. Game time is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Kerr Stadium.