Endicott vs. Oneonta State
February 21, 2009
The Game Story:
BEVERLY, Mass. - Endicott's Nick Cosco (Londonderry, N.H.), Eddie O'Reilly (Beverly, Mass.) and Dan Cain (Billerica, Mass.) each tallied two goals apiece as the 9th-ranked Gulls cruised past visiting Oneonta State, 8-1, in the season-opener for both squads on Saturday afternoon in Beverly, Massachusetts. Endicott scored six of its eight goals in the second and third quarters to spark the victory.

Dan Cain got the scoring started just 4:44 into the first as he took a feed from Nick Cosco and beat Oneonta goalkeeper Nick Murray (West Babylon, N.Y.) for the quick 1-0 lead. The goal proved to be the only scoring of the first quarter as each team suffered from sloppy early season play, combining for 19 turnovers (10 for Endicott, nine for Oneonta) in the opening frame.

An Endicott penalty in the closing seconds of the opening quarter opened the door for the Red Dragons at the start of the second, and the visitors capitalized on a man-up strike by Matt Harvey (Bay Shore, N.Y.) off an assist from Dennis Headrick (Kings Park, N.Y.) to knot the game at 1-1. The goal proved to be the lone tally of the afternoon for Oneonta.

Following the Red Dragons' goal, Endicott responded with seven unanswered, including three in the second. Eddie O'Reilly gave the Gulls a 2-1 lead with 1:29 left in the half as he scored on the man-advantage, dodging from the top-X and converting near the crease. O'Reilly would strike again - just 27 seconds later - this time sweeping from behind the goal and squeaking a bid off hip for the 3-1 advantage. The Gulls completed the three goal rally with just three ticks remaining in the second as Brad Lipkvich (Madison, Conn.) sent a bounce shot between Murray's legs to propel the Blue and Green into the intermission with a 4-1 lead.

Endicott put the game away off the opening face-off of the second half as Joe Gugino (West Hartford, Conn.) cleanly won the draw, and then found Nick Cosco in transition who buried a seed into the top-left corner for the 5-1 lead. Brandon Dube (Danvers, Mass.) then scored just seven minutes later as he took a handoff from Jack Curtis (Chelmsford, Mass.) behind the Red Dragon cage and beat the defense by sweeping to his left and firing a shot in the upper-left corner.

The Gulls kept the scoring going with 3:33 left in the third as an Eddie O'Reilly shot nailed off the helmet of Oneonta goalkeeper Nick Murray, allowing Dan Cain to scoop up the loose ball on the goalmouth and deposit his second of the day. Nick Cosco closed out the scoring with 6:28 left in regulation as he blistered a right-handed crank shot from the right hash, sending the Gulls to the 8-1 win.

Cosco led all scorers with two goals and an assist. O'Reilly and Cain each had two goals while Lipkvich and Dube ended the day with one. Joe Gugino was 8-of-12 from the faceoff X while preseason Goalie of the Year Eric Hagarty (Sudbury, Mass.) surrendered just one goal and made five saves for his first win of the season. Senior defenseman Adrien Peacock (Billerica, Mass.) had six groundballs and three caused-turnovers in the victory.

Oneonta's Nick Murray made 15 saves in the losing effort. The Gulls held a 34-21 advantage in shots and a 23-6 advantage in shots on goal. The Red Dragons turned the ball over 30 times compared to Endicott's 24, and the Gulls successfully cleared the ball on 16 of their 18 attempts (Oneonta was just 12-of-28).

No. 9 Endicott returns to action on Wednesday afternoon as the Gulls play host to Springfield College at 4:00 p.m. Oneonta retakes the field next Saturday as the Red Dragons travel to Guilford for a 1:00 p.m. meeting with the Quakers.