Franklin And Marshall vs. Dickinson
April 21, 2004
The Game Story:
LANCASTER, PA -- Steve Welsh (Jr., Lewes, DE/Cape Henelopen) scored twice in the final eight minutes of play for the game-winner and an insurance goal, while Vandy Vanderwarker (Sr., Davidsonville, MD/DeMatha) scored three goals for a natural hat-trick as the Franklin & Marshall College Diplomats avoided an upset by defeating Dickinson 7-5 in Centennial Conference men's lacrosse action.

Welsh's game-winner with 8:21 left on the clock marked the second year in a row the junior attackman has scored the game-winner against the Red Devils as he scored twice and handed out three assists in a 11-9 win in Carlisle on April 19, 2003.

Tie 5-5 entering the fourth period, Welsh took over the game as he split the Devils' defense and buried a feed from Mike Down (Fr., Ellicott City, MD/Centennial) past Dickinson goalie Tom Wilson for a 6-5 lead with 8:21 left on the clock. The score marked the first time the Diplomats led in the game as F&M came back from a 4-2 deficit in the opening minute of the second half to take the win.

Welsh scored again less than four minutes later as he took a pass from Chris Wathey (Sr., South Huntington, NY/St. Anthony's) on a fast break, leaped into the air and ripped a diagonal shot over the right shoulder of Wilson for an insurance score as the Diplomats' defense did the rest to improve to 8-3, 3-2 in Centennial Conference play. Historically, the win marks the third straight two goal victory for F&M over Dickinson (8-4 4-2 CC) as the Red Devils fell in Lancaster in 2002 by a 9-7 final.

In the history of the series, the game marked one of the closest as Dickinson has failed to defeat the Diplomats since a 12-10 victory in Carlisle in the spring of 1967, a string of 37 consecutive defeats. Against Dickinson in 2004, the Red Devils struck first as Flynn Burch scored a man-up goal off a pass from Drew Peace for a 1-0 lead with 7:33 left in the first period. Franklin & Marshall responded as Vanderwarker whipped an assist from Wathey into the twine with five minutes left in the period for a 1-1 tie after 15 minutes of play. Dickinson retook the advantage with 10:13 left in the second period as Brian Read dunked a feed from Peace past F&M goalie Mike Sartorius (Jr., Summit, NJ/Summit) at point blank range for a 2-1 lead. The Diplomats retied the score with 1:37 left in the first half as Vanderwarker fired a blast past Wilson off a pass from Bas Solleveld (Sr., Glenmoore, PA/Shipley) for a 2-2 tie at intermission. However, the Devils would get their due in the second half as a slashing penalty on defenseman Dave Taler (Sr., Baltimore, MD/Gilman) carried over into the second half.

With no face-off in the third period, the Devils got to work moving the ball around the perimeter before a Dickinson player fired a shot that bounced off the head of Sartorius' stick. Attackman Scott Dalgliesh caught the deflection in midair and flipped a shot into the goal for a man-up goal and a 3-2 lead 37 seconds into the half. Dickinson increased the lead to 4-2 ten seconds later as Mike Kirk scooped a ground ball off the face-off and broke away before firing a shot into the goal for a two goal advantage.