Franklin And Marshall vs. Saint Mary's (md)
March 6, 2010
The Game Story:
LANCASTER, Pa. - St. Mary's started the second half with a five-goal run to take a 9-6 win from Franklin & Marshall at Tylus Field on Saturday. The win was the first of the season for the 1-2 Seahawks, while the Diplomats remain without a win at 0-2.

With his team trailing 3-1 at the start of the third, St. Mary's Dennis Rosson sprinted out from behind the cage and dumped a shot inside of the post to get his team within one early in the second half. Rosson's goal was the catalyst for St. Mary's decisive run that included a second Rosson tally in the first minute of the fourth quarter. Rosson again worked from behind and found open space in the top right corner of the net. Less than a minute later, J.P. Lennon collected a Patrick Mull feed from high in the box and buried a shot at close range to make it 6-3 in favor of St. Mary's.

Mull had scored a goal in the run as part of the 3-0 St. Mary's third quarter. He struck again when F&M threatened to climb back in the game during the fourth quarter.

1:04 after the Lennon goal, F&M's Justin Rayman ended an 18:20 Diplomat drought by working from behind the left-hand side of the cage to beat Pat Simpson with a rising shot. Simpson had come on in relief of Stu Wheeler, who was penalized for shenanigans behind the net in the third quarter. Simpson stopped five in just over 20 minutes of work. Wheeler turned away ten in the remainder.

Rayman's goal was quickly answered by Mull to make it 7-4. 45 seconds later, Chris Becraft shut the door on the Diplomats, cashing in on an extra-man opportunity to make it a four-goal game. Rosson conspired with Lennon to put the game on ice at the eight-minute mark. The Diplomats got an extra man goal from Kevin Kilpatrick followed by a Sean Oliver, point-blank blast into the upper corner to make it the 9-6 with 5:22 left, but St. Mary's won the ensuing faceoff and ate some clock. The Diplomats saw three possessions end in turnovers down the stretch.

The first half was a different affair. Sean Kenny gave F&M an early 1-0 lead just before the ten-minute mark in the first. Ten minutes later, Brendan Oster knotted it at 1-1. That was it for the scoring until the closing minutes of the second quarter, when Colin McKew factored in on both ends of an F&M pair. McKew gave the Diplomats their second lead of the day, sprinting out from behind and sneaking one by Wheeler's right side. 1:24 later, he sent a pass across the goal mouth to Oliver for the finish.

Statistically speaking, the game was a close one with St. Mary's outshooting F&M 33-29. Both teams managed to put 21 inside of the frame. St. Mary's held a 28-27 edge in ground balls and an 11-9 edge in faceoffs. Chris Marcozzi turned away a dozen shots for the Diplomats and both teams cleared their end 15 times.

The Diplomats return to action next Saturday at home against Washington & Lee.