Gettysburg vs. Dickinson
April 16, 2003
The Game Story:
Gettysburg downs Dickinson 8-5 behind tough defense, Gallant hat trick; Bullets clinch spot in CC postseason

GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Evan Gallant (Lutherville, MD/Loyola Blakefield) scored a game-high three goals and Tim McGinnis (Ellicott City, MD/Loyola Blakefield) made 14 saves to lead seventh-ranked Gettysburg past Dickinson 8-5 in Centennial Conference (CC) men’s lacrosse action on Wednesday.

While Gallant was busy netting his second collegiate hat trick, McGinnis and the Bullet defense held the Red Devils (5-6, 2-4 CC) scoreless for a stretch of 24:29 in the second half, helping Gettysburg (9-3, 5-1 CC) clinch a spot in next week’s CC playoffs. The five-time defending conference champions also posted their 28th straight victory over Dickinson.

The Bullets’ man-down defense led the way, killing all six of the Red Devils’ extra-man opportunities, including a two-man advantage while the home squad was nursing a 5-4 lead late in the third quarter. Freshman face-off specialist Chris Renzi (Fairport, NY/Fairport) also played a big role, winning 12 of 16 draws on the afternoon.

Jake Van Nostrand (Baldwin, NY/Baldwin) scored a goal and dished out two assists in his return to the starting attacking unit, becoming the 10th player in program history to collect 150 career points (151).

Jon Yanicky tallied a pair of goals for Dickinson while Ed Boyd scored a goal and added one assist. Goalie Tom Wilson made nine saves.

Trailing 3-2 midway through the second quarter, Gettysburg struck for three goals in a span of 2 minutes, 9 seconds to take the lead for good.

Taking advantage of a Red Devil turnover, Van Nostrand scored in transition off a laser feed from Gallant to knot the game at 3 with 6:27 left in the first half. Moments later, Jay Mayes (Pikesville, MD/McDonogh) – the hero of Saturday’s 7-6 overtime win at Haverford – picked off a pass and started another Bullet fast break.

Mayes fired an outlet pass to Gallant, who in turn fed Van Nostrand to the right of the Dickinson net. Without breaking stride, Van Nostrand hit Chase Stewart (Downingtown, PA/Downingtown) for the go-ahead goal with 4:58 remaining.

Forty seconds later, Gallant finished off a behind-the-net feed from Stewart to make it 5-3.

The Red Devils got within 5-4 on Yanicky’s first goal of the game with 10:48 left in the third quarter, but the Gettysburg defense wouldn’t let the visitors get any closer.

Dickinson managed only two shots over the next nine minutes, including no shots on a two-man advantage with 4:57 left in the quarter. Gallant gave the Bullets some breathing room, scoring off a long-range feed from James Culp (Swarthmore, PA/Ridley) at the 1:30 mark. The assist was Culp’s first collegiate point.

Down by two, the Red Devils had another extra-man opportunity with 7:58 remaining in the game, but McGinnis came up with a save on Alex Smith, then hustled after a wide shot seconds later to give Gettysburg possession. Nick Purkat (Annandale, VA/W.T. Woodson) cashed in a Bullet man-advantage with 6:15 left to make it a three-goal game and Matt Twombly (New Canaan, CT/New Canaan) struck at 3:37 to push the lead to 8-4.

Goals from Brian Ford (Niskayuna, NY/Niskayuna) and Gallant staked Gettysburg to an early 2-0 lead. Boyd and Mike Kirk each converted rebounds in a span of 44 seconds to knot the game at 2 after one quarter.

Brandon Asplundh gave Dickinson its lone lead of the game by scoring from the right doorstep with 9:14 left in the second quarter.

Matt McMillen (Media, PA/Penncrest) keyed the Bullet defense with seven ground balls and three caused turnovers. Kevin Smith (Baltimore, MD/McDonogh) scooped a team-best eight ground balls on the day.

Gettysburg returns to action on Saturday at home against No. 8 Franklin & Marshall. Game time is 1 p.m.