Gettysburg vs. Eastern
April 11, 2012
The Game Story:
GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Freshman Robby Maddux exploded for six goals and the 17th-ranked Bullets defeated Eastern University 10-6 in a non-conference men’s lacrosse game Wednesday afternoon at a blustery Shirk Field at Musselman Stadium.

Gettysburg (8-3) never trailed after scoring the game’s first two goals en route to its sixth win in a row.

Making just his third collegiate start, Maddux pumped in the most goals by a Bullet since John O’Bannon ’04 scored six in a 9-8 overtime win over McDaniel College on April 25, 2003 in the Centennial Conference semifinals.

Freshman Bijan Firouzan added a season-high five points on two goals and three assists for the Bullets while juniors Bobby DeWees and Ryan Fumai each tallied one goal and one assist.

Junior J.T. McCook came off the bench to play the final 43:40 in goal for Gettysburg and finished with nine saves while allowing only three goals.

It was the fifth time this season that Gettysburg limited an opponent to six goals or less and the ninth time an opponent was held to under 10 goals.

Eastern (6-4) was led by Chris Farrar and Will Johnson, who scored two goals apiece. Matt Soldano added a goal and two assists while Matt Wagner contributed one goal and one assist. Aaron Benz and Pat Groschan split the time in goal for the Eagles, with Benz starting and making eight saves and allowing the first five goals. Groschan stopped eight shots and yielded two goals.

After Maddux and Firouzan scored 37 seconds apart to make it 2-0 with 13:02 left in the opening quarter, Eastern answered with a pair of goals to pull even. DeWees pushed the Bullets in front before Johnson tied it again for the Eagles with 1:43 on the first-quarter clock. But Firouzan gave his team the lead for good when he struck with 32 ticks showing to make it 4-3.

Maddux and Wagner traded goals early in the second quarter as Eastern pulled to within 5-4 with 11:55 remaining. But that’s when Gettysburg opened up some breathing room with a 4-0 run spanning the second and third quarters. Five seconds after Wagner scored, sophomore Wes Lincoln won the ensuing face-off and set up Maddux for his third goal of the day while picking up the first point of his career.

Fumai got into the act when he scored with 5:14 left before Maddux made it four goals in the half, striking with 25 seconds remaining to give the Bullets an 8-4 halftime advantage.

Maddux completed Gettysburg’s run when he scored again with 4:54 remaining in the third quarter to give the Bullets their largest lead of the day. The Eagles threatened with a pair of quick goals over a 48-second span midway through the fourth quarter, but that’s as close as they would get as Maddux scored the game’s final goal off a face-off with 7:48 to go.

The Bullets return to Centennial Conference action on Saturday at Washington College in a match-up featuring the only two teams that are still undefeated in the conference. Gettysburg will enter the game 4-0 in conference play while the Shoremen are 5-0 in CC action.