Gettysburg vs. Tufts
May 12, 2007
The Game Story:
GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Junior midfielder Ben Sufrin (Mahopac, N.Y./Mahopac) tallied career highs with four goals and six points to lead No. 2 Gettysburg to a 12-7 win against No. 9 Tufts in NCAA Division III Second Round action at Shirk Field at Musselman Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The Bullets, appearing in the NCAA tournament for the 17th time in 19 seasons, advance to the quarterfinals for the 17th time.

Bullet (15-2) senior midfielder Kevin Freehill (Baldwin, N.Y./Baldwin) also tallied a hat trick and an assist. Senior goalie Pat Vaughan (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) made 10 saves on the day to take over sole possession of second place on the Gettysburg career saves list. With 707 career stops, he is also just the fourth goalie in Centennial Conference history to reach the 700 mark.

Tufts (13-4) sophomore attackman Peter Whitney led the team with two goals. Sophomore midfielder Chase Bibby also had two points on a goal and an assist, while senior midfielder Matt Lanuto took 20 faceoffs, winning 12. He was credited with 11 ground balls.

The Bullets scored the first six goals of the game in jumping out to an 8-2 halftime lead. The hosts opened the scoring with a man-up goal by sophomore attackman Rob Triplett (McLean, Va./McLean) just 2:46 in. Junior attackman Trip Dyer (Ocean View, Del./Worcester Prep [Md.]) assisted on the play. Gettysburg went 2-for-4 on extra-man opportunities in the game.

The bigger story on special teams though, came with Gettysburg leading 4-0 late in the first quarter. The Bullets were forced to play three men down for 30 seconds and did not allow a goal thanks in large part to Vaughan making a kick save on a point-blank shot.

Just under two minutes later, Freehill netted his second goal of the game to close out the first quarter scoring. Freshman attackman Joe Brody (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson) added the Bullets’ sixth goal of the game midway through the second quarter before Bibby could get the Jumbos on the board with 6:10 to play before halftime.

Sufrin and Freehill scored just under two minutes apart to run the Gettysburg advantage to 8-1, but Tufts junior attackman Matt Caple struck with 1:51 showing on the clock. Freehill’s tally with 2:59 left in the second quarter proved to the game winner.

Gettysburg’s first goal of the second half came from an unlikely source. Junior defenseman Andrew McGann (Laguna, Calif./Holderness School [N.H.]) forced a turnover, picked up the ball and got it ahead to Brody. The rookie attackman then fed senior defenseman Steve Hurst (New Canaan, Conn./New Canaan), who converted for his first goal since 2004, giving the Bullets a 9-2 lead.

The Jumbos rallied with four goals over a span of 9:15 between the third and fourth quarters. Four different scorers helped to whittle the deficit to 10-6 with 13:53 to play in the fourth quarter.

Just under a minute later, Sufrin turned a Freehill pass into Gettysburg’s 11th goal. Dyer and Triplett would connect again on the extra-man opportunity, this time with Dyer scoring at the 6:42 mark. Whitney’s unassisted goal with 1:29 left pulled Tufts within five goals, but it proved to be too little, too late.

Gettysburg advances to the NCAA quarterfinals to face No. 8 Ithaca on Wednesday at Shirk Field at Musselman Stadium. The Bombers defeated No. 10 Cabrini, 18-11 on Saturday. The time for the opening faceoff has yet to be determined.