Gettysburg vs. Washington College
May 14, 2008
The Game Story:
GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Sophomores Joe Brody (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson) and Kyle McGrath (Randolph, N.J./Randolph) each notched a hat trick, scoring three goals apiece and the No. 3-ranked Gettysburg College men’s lacrosse team punched its ticket to the NCAA Division III semifinals for the second year in a row, cruising by No. 5 Washington (Md.) College 12-5 Wednesday afternoon at Shirk Field at Musselman Stadium.

Gettysburg (17-2), which raced out to a 6-0 lead and blanked the Shoremen over the opening 26:21, will now play the winner of Wednesday night’s quarterfinal between No. 1 Salisbury University and No. 6 Cabrini College at a date, time, and location to be announced.

The Bullets, who tied the program record for single-season victories, will make their seventh appearance in the NCAA semifinals.

It was the third meeting of the season between the two teams, with Gettysburg winning all three.

McGrath continued his hot streak, notching his second straight hat trick and his third over the last four games. Senior Ben Sufrin (Mahopac, N.Y./Mahopac) added two goals and an assist while junior Drew Duckworth (Rye, N.Y./Hotchkiss School (Conn.)) scored a pair of goals. Senior Trip Dyer (Ocean View, Del./Worcester Prep (Md.)) and junior Tom O'Donnell (Montgomeryville, Pa./La Salle College) contributed one goal and one assist apiece while O’Donnell scooped up a season-high six ground balls. Junior Zachary Furshman (Miami, Fla./Kent School (Conn.)) came up with eight saves over the opening 56:10.

Thanks in large part to the play of senior defenseman Andrew McGann (Laguna, Calif./Holderness (N.H.)), the Centennial Conference Player of the Year, Gettysburg shut out Washington’s Chris Read, who entered the game with a conference-leading 51 goals.

Washington (14-4) received a pair of tallies from Andrew Generazio. Gordon Cohen saved 16 shots in 56:38 of action.

The Bullets jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, scoring a pair of goals 53 seconds apart. Sufrin put the Bullets on the scoreboard at the 11:55 mark, and Brody took a feed from freshman Chris Cahill (Nashville, Tenn./Montgomery Bell Academy) and scored just under a minute later. It remained a 2-0 game at the end of the first quarter, with Gettysburg out-shooting Washington 7-2 in the opening period.

O’Donnell made it 3-0 with an unassisted goal at the 12:42 mark of the second quarter before the Bullets broke it open with three goals over a 2:31 stretch midway through the stanza. Brody kicked off the decisive spurt, scoring a man-up tally with 7:53 left before sophomore Patrick Koehl (Shamong, N.J./St. Joseph’s Prep (Pa.)) set up McGrath’s first goal of the game with 6:15 showing. Just under a minute later, Brody struck again, scoring his final goal of the game as Gettysburg’s lead swelled to 6-0 at the 5:22 mark.

Washington broke up the shutout with 3:39 left in the half, when Jimmy Kielek scored off an assist from Read. But Duckworth answered for Gettysburg 1:06 before the half, taking a pass from Dyer and firing in a shot that deflected off the goalie before trickling in to make it a 7-1 game at the break.

The Bullets out-shot the Shoremen 19-7 in the opening half.

The two teams traded goals twice at the start of the third quarter, with Duckworth and McGrath scoring for Gettysburg to give the hosts a 9-2 advantage. Generazio scored each of his goals in the third quarter, but Dyer accepted a feed from O’Donnell and scored with six seconds left as the Bullets carried a 10-3 lead into the final period.

McGrath buried his final goal of the game 3:02 into the final quarter, and neither team scored again until Sufrin accepted a pass from Brody before scoring his second goal of the day to give Gettysburg its largest lead (12-3) of the game. Washington added a pair of goals in the final 1:51, with Kolyn Kirby scoring at the 1:51 mark and Nick Gregory cashing in just before the horn.

Gettysburg’s special teams registered an outstanding game, as the Bullets scored on 3-of-4 extra-man opportunities and successfully killed all four of their penalties. The Orange & Blue held a 34-29 advantage in ground balls, and each team went 10-for-20 on face-offs.