Gordon vs. Curry
May 1, 2007
The Game Story:
WENHAM, Mass., May 1, 2007 – Gordon College freshman midfielder Danny Mack (Dublin, Ohio) notched three goals and three assists as the Fighting Scots defeated Curry College, 16-9, to advance to the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Tournament semi-finals, this afternoon at the Brigham Athletic Complex in Wenham.

The Fighting Scots (7-7) opened the scoring nearly seven minutes into the first quarter as freshman attack Andrew Kirkaldy (Red Deer, Canada) gave the Scots the early lead on an assist from Mack. The Colonels (6-10) answered with two goals within 1:14 of each other as juniors Ryan Rooney (Newton, Mass.) and Kyle O’Brien (South Boston, Mass.) each tallied an unassisted goal; O’Brien’s coming with 4:15 to play in the opening stanza. The Mack-Kirkaldy connection struck again with just 1:26 to play in the period to tie the game at two goals a side before Rooney retaliated with his second goal of the period less than 20 seconds later as Curry led 3-2 after one quarter.

The Colonels lead would not last long, however, as the Scots scoring got into gear in the second quarter, outscoring their opponents 8-1 in the frame. Just 22 seconds into the quarter, GC senior attack Michael Neumann (Ashton, Md.) scored on a feed from freshman attack Joel Derchinsky (Annapolis, Md.) to knot the game at 3-3. Derechinsky would add three more assists and a goal in the quarter as the Scots led 10-4 at the break.

Curry sophomore attack Shane Kelley (Windsor, Conn.) got the scoring started in the second half to cut the deficit to five, 10-5, as he was assisted by freshman midfielder Paul Marchese (East Longmeadow, Mass.). Mack then assisted junior Matt Hawkins (Oakland, Calif.) to make it an 11-5 game and keep the Colonels at bay.

O’Brien then took things into his own hands for Curry as he waltzed through the GC defense and put the ball in the back of the net on back-to-back possessions to make it an 11-7 contest with 10:35 to play in the third quarter. Mack then answered back with consecutive goals of his own and the Scots would add one more in the quarter as the scoreboard read 14-7 with 15:00 to play.

Curry kept the visitors in the game with his first goal of the contest to make it a 14-8 game with 11:13 to play but the Fighting Scots were too powerful for the Colonels, outscoring CC 2-1 down the stretch for the 16-9 final.

Neumann, Derechinsky, and Kirkaldy each finished with five points for the winners while goalkeeper Mike Kaminski (Monticello, Minn.) made 14 saves for the win.

O’Brien and Rooney combined for five of the Colonels nine goals while net minder Alex MacMillan (Framingham, Mass.) turned away 15 shots.

The Fighting Scots will next take on Roger Williams University in the CCC Tournament semi-finals on Thursday (May 3) in Bristol, R.I. at 4:00 p.m.