Gordon vs. Messiah
March 16, 2013
The Game Story:
Towson, MD – After returning to action for the first time in two full weeks, the Messiah College Falcons evened their record at 2-2 by doubling up the Gordon College Fighting Scots 12-6 Saturday afternoon.

Andrew Harris and Kevan Schellenberg led the Falcons offensively as they each found twine three times on the afternoon. Andrew Johnson added two more tallies and Nate Nester scored one goal to accompany an assist.

Goalie Brooks Arnold, seeing his first action of the short season, collected a win in his first collegiate start, stopping 14 shots against 6 goals allowed for an impressive .700 save percentage.

Saturday's matchup marked the first-ever meeting between these two squads as members of the NCAA's Division III. Historically, the Falcons and Scots had often met as club teams prior to becoming NCAA sanctioned squads, playing the matchup as part of the annual Holy Wars, which pitted Christian club teams from around the region against one another in a series of games.

With the Holy War days of box helmets, over-sized elbow pads well in the past, the Falcons and Scots rekindled the old rivalry on neutral turf, at Loyola-Blakefield high school's Hargedan Field.

The teams started the game with plenty of energy, perhaps feeding off the reintroduced tension.

The Falcons and Scots traded goals back and forth for a 2-2 tie late in the first quarter as an up-and-down style of play paced the early moments of the game. The Falcons would score once more in the first to take a 3-2 lead heading into the second.

From there the Falcons wouldn't look back, rattling off a 4-0 second quarter behind solid play from Arnold and the Falcon defense and an offense that capitalized on good opportunities which included an extra-man goal. Messiah's 7-2 lead at the half is their largest of the young season at that juncture, which accompanies their lowest goals against over two quarters in their four games this season.

The Falcons saw their lead grow to as much as six at 9-3 over the third quarter, but the Scots had a comeback on their mind.

A 3-1 run from Scots pulled them within four with a little over nine minutes remaining in the contest, but Schellenberg and Harris had other plans as each would add a tally in the fourth to extend the Falcons lead.

The Scots, also playing their first game in two weeks, drop to 1-4 on the season following the loss.

The Falcons, who were averaging 11.66 goals against per game through three contests, held their opponent to single digit goals for the first time this season.

The Falcons will return to action Wednesday March 20 against Susquehanna University. Game time is slated for 6:15 p.m.