Guilford vs. Hampden-sydney
April 20, 2002
The Game Story:
GREENSBORO, NC-Hampden-Sydney College's fourth-ranked lacrosse team swamped Old Dominion Athletic Conference-foe Guilford, 16-5, Saturday afternoon, scoring the teams' 12th straight victory. The win closes out the regular season for the Tigers as the team finishes at 12-1 overall and 6-0 in the ODAC.

The Tigers jumped out to an early 2-0 lead courtesy of a pair of goals from junior midfielder Phil Dick (Salem, VA). Guilford then stormed back to tie the contest, 2-2, as Josh Miller and Ed Massello connected on the Quakers' first two shot attempts of the game.

Hampden-Sydney then scored the next five goals of the game to take a commanding, 7-2, lead. John Neal (Richmond, VA) came up big with two goals and two assists in the stretch, while Dick scored his third of the game and Chris Schaaf (Richmond, VA) and Scott Claiborne (Woodbridge, VA) each netted goals.

Guilford scored its third goal of the first half with 9:45 to play in the second quarter on a Josh Miller goal. The Tigers countered with Matt Furbish's (Severna Park, MD) first career strike and an unassisted goal by Matt Fassnacht (Fairfax, VA) to give the team a 9-3 lead at the break.

In the second half, the Tigers came out firing, out-scoring the Quakers, 4-0. Phil Dick connected on his fourth goal of the game to get the quarter started, before Wilson MacIlwaine (Charlottesville, VA), Zach Shaw (Charlotte, NC) and Ben Dammeyer (Annapolis, MD) each scored to put the Tigers ahead 13-3.

In the fourth quarter, Brian Shields (Fairfax Station, VA) scored his first collegiate goal for the Tigers, while Tom FitzGerald (Fairfax Station, VA) scored twice to put the game away for the H-SC. Josh Miller scored two goals for the Quakers to make the score, 16-5.

Overall, the Tigers out-shot the Quakers, 60-18, and held the advantage in ground balls, 55-18, and face-offs, 19-6. Hampden-Sydney returns to action on Tuesday, April 23, in the semifinals of the ODAC Tournament at Fulton Field at 3:30 pm.